Last week's review

It's been an interesting week for sure.  In the past week and a half, Spencer has had 3 major Asthma attacks.  Each one just as bad as the first one.  I have no clue what is going on other than our faith is just being tested right now.   He left Sunday on a trip with his dad so hopefully, he manages things better this week.  I'm glad he gets a few days off from work and can hopefully get a little rest and re-fuel.

Sam hasn't had that great of a week either.  He has had a lot of problems with losing his vision.  He plays hard and goes hours without stopping.  By the time he gets home, he is wiped out and I think is body just gives out and his eyes seem to the be the way that fatigue is manifested.  This week, the vision loss has been followed by extreme pain.  Pain bad enough that even he admits he needs help.  Usually Sam just ignores his discomforts and chooses to live in denial.

He is headed for a huge Scout Encampment.  They are expecting 11,000 boys to celebrate the anniversary of the Scouting program.  He will leave tomorrow and the weird thing is, the camp is in the middle of the desert.  Usually, they camp by a river or some water source.  It's unfortunate for Sam that they aren't.  His dysautonomia makes him overheat so fast.  Heat stroke is something we have to deal with almost every day or at least several times a week in the summer.  He is pretty nervous about his eyes and his temperature when he goes.  He is only 40 minutes away so I feel alright letting him go, knowing I can reach him in a half hour if necessary.

Spencer and I had a chance to talk about the future and the problems with his marrow.  He could stay home from his mission and begin Plasma transfusions to add some support to his crumbling immune system, or he could continue with his plans and leave things up to the Lord.  I am fine either way.  Actually, I think his life will be more enriched going than staying but it's a decision I want him to arrive at.  Without even thinking about it, he said, "No, I'm going.  I will be able to manage.  I knew it was going to be like this, a hundred road blocks for me to get over before I left.  I have to trust that everything is going to be okay."

That's my boy.  Trusting in the Lord.  It doesn't mean there isn't an underpinning of fear and hesitation to some degree.  There is.

As for Miss Shelbie...we added another piece to the medical mystery puzzle today.  More on that to come.

Photobucket

Comments

Popular Posts