Full Circle
It's hard to believe that it has been more than 6 months since our favorite Immunologist left the U to take a position with the CDC. Before he left, he gave us some options for who we could have to take his place. Naturally, I chose the almost 80 year old doctor who trained him!
Yes, he really is nearly 80 years old and still goes to work every day. His mind is as sharp as a tack and we should "consider yourselves lucky" to have such an amazing doctor- is the word on the street. Not everyone gets to be in his clinic.
Yesterday, the gal called to get the kids scheduled for their 6 month appointments and but then was reminded that Dr. Hill wanted to have some time to review their history before meeting us so she will get back to me. She asked how long the kids have been having immune problems and I told her that our first encounter was 24 years ago with a Dr. Shigeoka at the U when Shelbie was a baby.
I was not prepared for what came next...
"Oh yes!! Now I remember why I know you! I remember her case and you had another baby at the time I think." She replied.
I was dumbfounded. This woman on the other end of the phone sounds like she is 20 years old and for a minute I was terribly confused.
"Yes, he was a year old. I'm confused how you know this information."
"I was there. I have worked here for 32 years. Dr. Hill was there. He trained and hired Dr. Shigeoka. We met to discuss your daughter's case. It was very complex."
Huh? I am stunned. I have spoken to this woman several times on the phone but over the 6 years we've been going to Immunology, I have never met her in person.
We abandoned Primary Children's and the University hospital when Sam was born and switched all our records to Boise and then to Seattle. Here we right back where we started again with the very same problems and the man who oversaw it all is now our doctor and he's nearly 80 years old.
Maybe I read too much into things but this seems too coincidental. I'm not sure what it means, maybe nothing more than a good story. I'm in shock and April can't come soon enough so I can meet this man in person. Dr. Shigeoka was amazing but she passed away several years ago.
Yes, he really is nearly 80 years old and still goes to work every day. His mind is as sharp as a tack and we should "consider yourselves lucky" to have such an amazing doctor- is the word on the street. Not everyone gets to be in his clinic.
Yesterday, the gal called to get the kids scheduled for their 6 month appointments and but then was reminded that Dr. Hill wanted to have some time to review their history before meeting us so she will get back to me. She asked how long the kids have been having immune problems and I told her that our first encounter was 24 years ago with a Dr. Shigeoka at the U when Shelbie was a baby.
I was not prepared for what came next...
"Oh yes!! Now I remember why I know you! I remember her case and you had another baby at the time I think." She replied.
I was dumbfounded. This woman on the other end of the phone sounds like she is 20 years old and for a minute I was terribly confused.
"Yes, he was a year old. I'm confused how you know this information."
"I was there. I have worked here for 32 years. Dr. Hill was there. He trained and hired Dr. Shigeoka. We met to discuss your daughter's case. It was very complex."
Huh? I am stunned. I have spoken to this woman several times on the phone but over the 6 years we've been going to Immunology, I have never met her in person.
We abandoned Primary Children's and the University hospital when Sam was born and switched all our records to Boise and then to Seattle. Here we right back where we started again with the very same problems and the man who oversaw it all is now our doctor and he's nearly 80 years old.
Maybe I read too much into things but this seems too coincidental. I'm not sure what it means, maybe nothing more than a good story. I'm in shock and April can't come soon enough so I can meet this man in person. Dr. Shigeoka was amazing but she passed away several years ago.
Comments
Post a Comment