It's never too late
According to the almighty calendar, I'm a couple of days late to catch the Father's Day train of honor.
However, it's never too late to pay tribute to dads. My dad.
My dad is a hard worker. I only have a minute inkling of what it was like for my dad, building and working at his own, very successful business and balancing all of that with 4 kids and a loving wife. When I think about my dad, the word that comes to mind is- Opportunity. He was always looking for the opportunity in anything. My dad was never afraid to seize the moment, invent the moment, or develop a moment.
We would create recipes in the kitchen, some with greater success than others. There were bubble gum blowing contests, sunflower gardens, toboggan outings, camping, trips to far away places, piano lessons whether we liked it or not just we had the 'opportunity' to learn. Not only did he provide all of this for us, but he set an example of learning and growing.
I'm lucky to have a dad who taught me to budget money, make money, and save money. He taught me the art of selling and trusted me with my own clients in the beauty industry when I graduated from High School. He let me head up his marketing and have some interest in his company.
So, happy Father's Day to my dad.
It's been a long time since I talked to my brother. I only have one brother, and he is 5 years younger than me. Somehow, our lives went in different directions and we rarely talk. He's busy with his life and I'm busy with mine which, is a lame excuse. So, I called him for Father's day, rather than the usual text message a couple of times a year. I'm sad to report that I didn't recognize his voice. It seemed so far. I thought I had the wrong number so I said, "Is this really you?" and his reply was, "Yeah, sis, has it really been that long?" Even as we spoke, I still couldn't place his voice in my memory. It was strange and sad and I can't quite explain how empty it left me feeling.
I felt bad the rest of the day and it made me hate the way I've lived my life. I've spent more than a few minutes contemplating the distance between us. I don't excel at the balancing act that life requires of me. Some get all and some get nothing and that is how it has been.
Despite all the shortcomings we have, I was glad that I could tell him in person that I miss him and love him.
It's never too late.
However, it's never too late to pay tribute to dads. My dad.
My dad is a hard worker. I only have a minute inkling of what it was like for my dad, building and working at his own, very successful business and balancing all of that with 4 kids and a loving wife. When I think about my dad, the word that comes to mind is- Opportunity. He was always looking for the opportunity in anything. My dad was never afraid to seize the moment, invent the moment, or develop a moment.
We would create recipes in the kitchen, some with greater success than others. There were bubble gum blowing contests, sunflower gardens, toboggan outings, camping, trips to far away places, piano lessons whether we liked it or not just we had the 'opportunity' to learn. Not only did he provide all of this for us, but he set an example of learning and growing.
I'm lucky to have a dad who taught me to budget money, make money, and save money. He taught me the art of selling and trusted me with my own clients in the beauty industry when I graduated from High School. He let me head up his marketing and have some interest in his company.
So, happy Father's Day to my dad.
![]() |
| My dad and my brother a hot minute ago...May 10th, 1991 Those sleeves though... |
I felt bad the rest of the day and it made me hate the way I've lived my life. I've spent more than a few minutes contemplating the distance between us. I don't excel at the balancing act that life requires of me. Some get all and some get nothing and that is how it has been.
Despite all the shortcomings we have, I was glad that I could tell him in person that I miss him and love him.
It's never too late.

Comments
Post a Comment