Skip to main content

On Second Thought

Years ago, I read a book called Practical Intuition.  It's about listening to your gut...the first time.  I have worked on this over the years, off and on.  This year, it's something I've been working on.

That first thought I have about anything...I act on it, if it's something to be done, or I'll write it down, if it's an idea or direction for my life.  It's been an interesting adventure.

Today...I'm a little overwhelmed with my first thoughts but glad that I didn't wait for my second thought.

It's been a weird day...Spencer has been out of it all day and slept on the couch for more than awhile and when he was awake, he wasn't really awake.  I kind of thought he had overdone it at the trampoline park last night.

I have been so tired all day, dizzy and a headache for the 7th day in a row.  Between us, we've almost emptied a bottle of Advil which is odd for me to have headaches.

I went down late this afternoon to get some stuff out of the food storage room and it smelled like gas. I didn't really think much about it because this has happened off and on all winter and it seemed to go away or I forgot about it.

I started dinner but had a thought to go back down to the basement.  I'm so good at talking myself out of things.  I hate to feel like a drama queen but I knew I should call the gas company.  They showed up within 5 minutes and as I walked him downstairs, I was going on about how it was probably nothing and I'm sorry to waste his time.

"You can smell the gas right?"  I asked.
"Nope." he said.

So...I was feeling like a loser to make a big deal of it but he got out all of his special tools and didn't take long before he said, "'ve got some problems here!"

We have a gas leak in two places, a 1/4" gap in one area and the furnace was back drafting into the hot water heater.  There were scorched marks on the water heater.  He shut the main gas line off to the house and tape over all the gas connections with 'Danger' tape and Red ticketed us which means we aren't allowed to turn the gas back on until our HVAC duct work has been redone to meet code and then inspected.

He wouldn't let us stay in the we have no hot water or heat.
You can see where the metal is burned on the water heater. 

Shelbie had already left so Spencer and I opened all the windows, turned on all the fans and then left to get dinner.  We weren't allowed to turn on lights, run anything electrical etc.

This is our second evacuation for this reason!  How can they not get this right?  How have we survived all this time?  We all had enough symptoms today, I'm certain if I hadn't have listened to the prompting to call the gas company, we would not have lived through the night.  FYI...we have carbon monoxide alarms that are brand new but they didn't go off.

It's kind of a sobering thought on so many levels.

For the past two days, the dog has been a wreck,whining and crying all day and restless all night.  Monday night, he sat at the foot of my bed barking and whining.  This morning, he wouldn't leave my sight and would run to the front door scratching to get out.  He never, ever scratches at the front door.  When I would grab my purse to leave, he would jump all over me and cling to me.  Now, I get why he was so agitated.

We will be staying in a hotel until this gets sorted out.  Not exactly how I wanted to spend my money but such is life.

It's crazy to think this could have been our last night on earth!  In all seriousness...this could have been the end of our sad tale of existence.'s weird to think about it.  I'm pretty sure this is going to haunt my thoughts for weeks to come.  If I am being honest here, there was a part of me that wondered about how great it might be to be done with this mess of a life.  I'm tired.  Tired in so many ways!



Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Obscure Sorrows

I sat on the bench like I usually do on Saturday mornings, the organ music was slow and quiet.  I think that's why I like playing there; its just slow and quiet.  I set the pace.  I mostly keep my eye on the music for fear of messing up but I did notice a couple walk in.  I had known them a few years ago, not well, but enough.  Enough to notice each other and say Hi.  I had heard recently that she had breast cancer.  She's likely a good 10 years younger than me.  Her red wig was striking, her eyebrows carefully in place and by all accounts, she made cancer look good.  
I had the strangest feeling I've never had before.  She has no idea, that somehow, I know all about her recent strife with cancer.  I have heard how it struck, how she deals; I know more than a distant acquaintance like me should know.   She is living this complicated, unfair, story that went off in a way she scarcely expected.  For a moment, I felt like I was an extra in her 3rd act; the struggle.  And, I wo…

A Witness

I was expecting just another run of the mill night at the gym last night.  The kind where the 'meat heads' stay at their end of the gym grunting and groaning to sound strong and I would claim a little corner in the room where the Yogi's hang out and Plank, and there I would Spin on a bike for a few miles, do some rowing, a little TRX and finish up with some free weights.

Last night though, I actually decided to do an easier workout and took an inclined walk on the treadmill.  There were no meat heads in far end of the gym.  No one really at the gym at all.  For the longest time, I kept pace with an old guy on a bike behind me.

But then, a man and his son came in.  I knew them.  I knew them well but they don't know just how well I know them.  They have a son who passed away from Cystic Fibrosis a little while ago, he would have been Spencer's age now.  They have a younger son who also has CF.  I knew his wife and mother in law back when my kids were being diagnosed.…


It has been an emotional weekend!  Holy Smokes.  I need a vacation from being sensitive.

It's been months since I have been able to find my homeless friend May.

Monday, I had this overwhelming feeling that she was in trouble and it dawned on me that I should call the apartment where she was last known to be.  They didn't answer.  They didn't answer my call all week!  Finally, yesterday (Friday) they called me back.  I was afraid that they wouldn't give me any information about May since I wasn't family so I lied!  I told them she was my great Aunt.  The manager hummed and hawed and finally gave the phone to a man who wondered what I wanted with her.  After some convincing, he told me that she had been arrested and taken to the State Mental Hospital.

I was so sad!  I immediately called the State Hospital and asked if I could speak to her but of course, they can't tell me if she is there or not...and, I couldn't remember her first, legal name.  She has sever…