Skip to main content

The Squeaky Wheel

I hate having to be the squeaky wheel but I had no choice.

I have been extremely patient, even to a fault with the doctors in Utah.  It's been 7 weeks since we got the scan results on Shelbie's brain.  I didn't freak out, I waited to hear from our doctor but never heard.  After a couple of weeks, I sent an email.  A few days later, a message in MyChart.  The following week, I left a voicemail...twice.  I have made contact with them multiple times.

Finally, this morning, I pressed the issue.  I called and didn't just let them send me to some random nurse's voicemail.  I have been so anxious about this, I could hardly keep myself composed as I talked to the switchboard person.  I didn't want to get angry but I did make it clear that the way we have been handled has not been appropriate.  It's not fair to send someone a report stating that your child has a massive granuloma in their brain without some plan for follow up.  The girl was really good and promised that if I didn't get a response within 30 minutes, I was to call back.

Sure enough, I got a call back from our Doctor's nurse and she was rude!  I think I'm going to file a complaint.  She accused me of not being patient.  Really?  7 weeks of waiting isn't patient?  I was speechless and it's probably a good thing.

Finally, our doctor emailed me back.  She was apologetic and had assumed that this wasn't the first time I had heard about the mass in her brain!  Are you kidding me?  I am so disengaged with medicine these days.  I'm over their lack of communication.  She said she has a meeting planned for next week with a team of immunologists, neurologists and seizure specialists to discuss Shelbie's case.  That is good but it's more waiting.   Hopefully by then, I will have calmed down enough I can have a meaningful conversation and make a plan.



Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Obscure Sorrows

I sat on the bench like I usually do on Saturday mornings, the organ music was slow and quiet.  I think that's why I like playing there; its just slow and quiet.  I set the pace.  I mostly keep my eye on the music for fear of messing up but I did notice a couple walk in.  I had known them a few years ago, not well, but enough.  Enough to notice each other and say Hi.  I had heard recently that she had breast cancer.  She's likely a good 10 years younger than me.  Her red wig was striking, her eyebrows carefully in place and by all accounts, she made cancer look good.  
I had the strangest feeling I've never had before.  She has no idea, that somehow, I know all about her recent strife with cancer.  I have heard how it struck, how she deals; I know more than a distant acquaintance like me should know.   She is living this complicated, unfair, story that went off in a way she scarcely expected.  For a moment, I felt like I was an extra in her 3rd act; the struggle.  And, I wo…

A Witness

I was expecting just another run of the mill night at the gym last night.  The kind where the 'meat heads' stay at their end of the gym grunting and groaning to sound strong and I would claim a little corner in the room where the Yogi's hang out and Plank, and there I would Spin on a bike for a few miles, do some rowing, a little TRX and finish up with some free weights.

Last night though, I actually decided to do an easier workout and took an inclined walk on the treadmill.  There were no meat heads in far end of the gym.  No one really at the gym at all.  For the longest time, I kept pace with an old guy on a bike behind me.

But then, a man and his son came in.  I knew them.  I knew them well but they don't know just how well I know them.  They have a son who passed away from Cystic Fibrosis a little while ago, he would have been Spencer's age now.  They have a younger son who also has CF.  I knew his wife and mother in law back when my kids were being diagnosed.…


It has been an emotional weekend!  Holy Smokes.  I need a vacation from being sensitive.

It's been months since I have been able to find my homeless friend May.

Monday, I had this overwhelming feeling that she was in trouble and it dawned on me that I should call the apartment where she was last known to be.  They didn't answer.  They didn't answer my call all week!  Finally, yesterday (Friday) they called me back.  I was afraid that they wouldn't give me any information about May since I wasn't family so I lied!  I told them she was my great Aunt.  The manager hummed and hawed and finally gave the phone to a man who wondered what I wanted with her.  After some convincing, he told me that she had been arrested and taken to the State Mental Hospital.

I was so sad!  I immediately called the State Hospital and asked if I could speak to her but of course, they can't tell me if she is there or not...and, I couldn't remember her first, legal name.  She has sever…