Skip to main content

Worse Again.

Not much to this post other than Shelbie is worse than she was yesterday.

Yesterday, the cellulitis infection was about 6" in diameter.  Hives began covering the area even over the infection.  This afternoon, the fiery hot redness is easily 8" or more in diameter.  You can no longer see the defining line of the infection for all the welts.  Welts on top of Welts. Welts from her waistline nearly down to her knees, every inch of her skin.

Imagine the worst diaper rash you've ever seen...bleeding, weeping diaper rash and that is what Shelbie's leg and abdomen looks like...only it's obviously not diaper rash.  Obviously.  Benedryl is about as effective as Smarties.  

On top of that, the lymph fluid is still building up and that adds to her discomfort.

She doesn't complain.  Shelbie sleeps about 21 hours a day.  She has zero energy or stamina.  When she is awake, her brain function is slow.  She isn't taking pain meds or anything else that would have the effect of sleeping.

I feel like her body is trying to process so many things right now, it is shutting down.  Not literally...because that would mean she is dying and she isn't dying but what energy she does have is being used for the most crucial functions right now like keeping her heart beating, respiration etc.  There is literally, no energy to spare. During the three hours she is awake, she feels too nauseous to eat anything but maybe a little ramen.

I'm at a loss as to how to help her.  I have no idea how she can sleep with what looks like an extremely painful situation. Even her clothes touching her skin from her waist down is painful.

Monday, we will see the surgeon again to see if they need to open her back up to seal off the lymph vessels.  Part of me wonders if I should drive back to Huntsman and take her to the ER.  I love our surgeon here and family doc but I worry that we are losing continuity of care.

It's worrying me immensely.  Shelbie has a condition called Dysautonomia.  Her body can't effectively regulate its own autonomic nervous system.  When things get revved up, she can't regulate it.  Hives fall into that category.  I think that because the surgery was so invasive, her autonomic nervous system was so shocked it reacted with hives. There was one time a few years ago that she had hives for more than 6 months! They covered her body.  That can't happen again, not on top of everything else.

I got a little sleep last night which helped.  I have only slept about 12 hours total all week long. I can do that if needed but emotionally, I'm done.  Yet, I can't be done.  Shelbie isn't done.  She is brave, so me whining about being a little tired hardly seems appropriate when her suffering is so much greater. She needs me to appear strong and in control of this situation.  She goes to sleep and trusts that I will be close to keep an eye on her, make sure she doesn't stop breathing.  It's heartbreaking and we haven't even gotten to the hard part yet!  However they decide to treat whatever is happening to her with the enlarged lymph nodes is going to be challenging to say the least.



  1. Poor girl! I was hoping she would be a little better today. I wonder like you if it wouldn't be better to take her back to Huntsman's especially since you will need to go down next week for the results. Would she be able to handle the car ride? I think you are right about her sleeping so much, her body is just working so hard it needs all that rest.

  2. Praying for Shelbie and you. (Karen)


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Some Results

I was surprised to get a brief update from our doctor this morning.

They did not catch any seizure activity last week.  She said that while that may be good news, it didn't rule out deep structure seizures.   I asked if the test gave any insight to the cause of the slowing of activity in her brain and these were her words.

" No, this does not give an answer ... But it is just one test, done one time ..."

We are still waiting on the MRI results.  I'm not losing hope.  I know, I play this game ALL THE TIME...I wish for problems that no one in their right mind would wish for.  I only do that because it's usually the option with a fix.  Of all the things they are considering to be an issue for Shelbie, seizures are the simplest explanation and medication would manage it.

I'm certain we aren't going to find a solution to her problems any time soon.  While I sat in the waiting room during her 2 hour MRI last Thursday, there was a couple in the room as well.  A…

Random Saturday

Whenever I feel like we are careening out of control, I declutter and clean.  By midnight on Friday, I had 1/3 of my living room filled with stuff I didn't want.  Today, I made a couple of trips to the thrift store and the dump.

Ahhh, I feel like I lost 20 pounds.

When Sam came home after his first week at school a while back, he said, "Wow, my room looks the same."

"What did you think your room would look like?"  I asked.


Turkey!  He came home this morning with his laundry and was a bit despaired.  He said, "Mom, you gotta help me with the smell in my apartment!  I can't stand it anymore! Do we have any Ozium?"

He went on to explain that there is no garbage disposal in the kitchen sink but food gets crammed down there anyways.  He said he keeps putting the little metal drains in that are meant to catch bits of food but his roommates take them out.  He's about fed up.  And while he was on his rant about boys and their leve…

A Witness

I was expecting just another run of the mill night at the gym last night.  The kind where the 'meat heads' stay at their end of the gym grunting and groaning to sound strong and I would claim a little corner in the room where the Yogi's hang out and Plank, and there I would Spin on a bike for a few miles, do some rowing, a little TRX and finish up with some free weights.

Last night though, I actually decided to do an easier workout and took an inclined walk on the treadmill.  There were no meat heads in far end of the gym.  No one really at the gym at all.  For the longest time, I kept pace with an old guy on a bike behind me.

But then, a man and his son came in.  I knew them.  I knew them well but they don't know just how well I know them.  They have a son who passed away from Cystic Fibrosis a little while ago, he would have been Spencer's age now.  They have a younger son who also has CF.  I knew his wife and mother in law back when my kids were being diagnosed.…