Skip to main content
This will be short. At 11:00 this morning, it was decided that Shelbie needed to be transported to Utah, back to the Huntsman Cancer center.

This morning, Sam wasn't feeling well and admitted that he hasn't been feeling well for three days. He has an onery pain in his lower right side. This morning, he couldn't even make it to school. I talked to our doc at the hospital and he said to watch him close for appendicitis. When we found out Shelbie had to be transferred, I couldn't exactly watch him closely from another State so he came along.

Shelbie is not improving from surgery complications. Still. We are in the bone marrow transplant unit and the rules are strict. Only two people can be in the room. The room is pressurized and temp controlled so now I have a wrinkle in my plan. There is no internet and no phone service either.

I'm standing outside in the snow typing this because I know people are worried.

Shelbie is very upset and anxious. It's been horribly overwhelming. I feel completely in over my head. We've already seen 6 doctors all from different specialties. So far only two people we've met speak good English. I forgot my hearing aid so their accents, quiet demeanor, anxiety, and total commotion is not working out well for me. I'm a little lost and out of my element.

The nurse said, "you better get to sleep, tomorrow is going to overwhelm you and there will be a steady stream of doctors through here. It's going to be tough."

We had to leave so quickly I couldn't get everything packed for Shelbie. I thought she would be in a hospital gown so I didn't worry. Actually, they prefer you wear your own comfortable clothes. So, I've been out trying to buy her comfortable clothes to get her through a couple of days.

Tomorrow we consult with the Pic team because the third IV infiltrated on the way down. We didn't catch it until they unwrapped it. Infection, hives, phlebitis, swelling covers her left arm. They found a vein in her right arm to restart the IV but it seems we are losing that one too.

I'm not sure what could possibly go wrong next.  I'm really struggling. I've lost my footing here. I had no idea it would be like this. One nurse pulled me aside when I escaped the room and she said, "it's a lot. You're doing fine! Don't get lost in the chaos of this."

Right. Well, blogging on a cell phone stinks! I will try to write more when I find internet again and phone service.

Thank you for the many prayers.



  1. Kathy, will you be there through the weekend? We could come Friday night and bring clothes and whatever else you need.

  2. Melinda talked to me today and I am so sorry. She admires you so much and loves your family. My son died unexpectedly so there was no warning and nothing I could do but accept it. What you are going through is much harder and I am praying for you to be comforted. Our lives are a gift and we hold on so tight but what awaits us is so much more. You are a valiant mother. I hope you feel peace and love from the many prayers that are being said for you. Sara Neeley


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Some Results

I was surprised to get a brief update from our doctor this morning.

They did not catch any seizure activity last week.  She said that while that may be good news, it didn't rule out deep structure seizures.   I asked if the test gave any insight to the cause of the slowing of activity in her brain and these were her words.

" No, this does not give an answer ... But it is just one test, done one time ..."

We are still waiting on the MRI results.  I'm not losing hope.  I know, I play this game ALL THE TIME...I wish for problems that no one in their right mind would wish for.  I only do that because it's usually the option with a fix.  Of all the things they are considering to be an issue for Shelbie, seizures are the simplest explanation and medication would manage it.

I'm certain we aren't going to find a solution to her problems any time soon.  While I sat in the waiting room during her 2 hour MRI last Thursday, there was a couple in the room as well.  A…

Random Saturday

Whenever I feel like we are careening out of control, I declutter and clean.  By midnight on Friday, I had 1/3 of my living room filled with stuff I didn't want.  Today, I made a couple of trips to the thrift store and the dump.

Ahhh, I feel like I lost 20 pounds.

When Sam came home after his first week at school a while back, he said, "Wow, my room looks the same."

"What did you think your room would look like?"  I asked.


Turkey!  He came home this morning with his laundry and was a bit despaired.  He said, "Mom, you gotta help me with the smell in my apartment!  I can't stand it anymore! Do we have any Ozium?"

He went on to explain that there is no garbage disposal in the kitchen sink but food gets crammed down there anyways.  He said he keeps putting the little metal drains in that are meant to catch bits of food but his roommates take them out.  He's about fed up.  And while he was on his rant about boys and their leve…

A Witness

I was expecting just another run of the mill night at the gym last night.  The kind where the 'meat heads' stay at their end of the gym grunting and groaning to sound strong and I would claim a little corner in the room where the Yogi's hang out and Plank, and there I would Spin on a bike for a few miles, do some rowing, a little TRX and finish up with some free weights.

Last night though, I actually decided to do an easier workout and took an inclined walk on the treadmill.  There were no meat heads in far end of the gym.  No one really at the gym at all.  For the longest time, I kept pace with an old guy on a bike behind me.

But then, a man and his son came in.  I knew them.  I knew them well but they don't know just how well I know them.  They have a son who passed away from Cystic Fibrosis a little while ago, he would have been Spencer's age now.  They have a younger son who also has CF.  I knew his wife and mother in law back when my kids were being diagnosed.…