Skip to main content


For the most part, today has been a little better.  Shelbie has been able to rest most of the day without too much bother. It was a glimmer of hope we really needed.  The doctor has been happy that the spreading has slowed right down and the infection seems to be breaking up slightly.  I really thought the improvements would last.

Tonight, things are rough again.  She ended up with an IV infiltration early, early this morning and now has Phlebitis from that.  They switched her IV at around 3am and things were better but tonight, she infiltrated the second IV.  It was an effort to get a new IV started for a third time.  Now, there is infection and phlebitis starting again in the second site.

Her body is slammed with trying to process so many different things going on, it just can't keep up.  There is really nothing more we can do for her but let time heal.  I really thought we might be able to go home tomorrow, and maybe we will but she has yet to manage this with oral meds which means, we can't go anywhere.  They tried her on oral Benedryl for the hives but those doubled in sized and spread even more so it's back to IV Benedryl.

Tonight I asked the nurse to completely sedate her.  I want her halfway comatose so her body can put the energy where it's needed.  It isn't helpful for her to be agitated and upset.  It just takes energy she doesn't have.  The doctor had orders for that kind of thing but somehow, you get in your head that you just need to 'fight' your way back to health so we've avoided most of what is available to us.  I think there is wisdom in 'resting' your way back to health.

I foresee another surgery in our very near future, maybe even within the week.  There isn't a healthy vein in her body so a port is going to be necessary regardless of what happens this week.

Anyhow...We had a few visitors this afternoon which really helped break up the long and wearying day.  It helps to not feel completely alone.

Shelbie and I have had some good talks about the whys of it all.  She is really worried if she is ever going to survive this let alone anything else.  Without really thinking, I said, "Well, I think this is God's way of preparing you for what might be coming.  We know what isn't working in terms of coping tools and where we need to shore up our efforts."

She agreed and we talked about how we can work together better to get through these incredibly hard times.  We agreed we get to be honest.  She can say a million times that she wants to die and I don't get to argue with her but just help her hold that thought for as long as she needs to.  I get to cry whenever I feel like, over anything I want and that doesn't mean anything other than I feel like crying.  It freaks her out when I seem less than pulled together.

It's a start.

Tomorrow is going to be a better day.  I am getting the pattern down of falling apart and that makes just enough room to pull it together and get back in the arena for several more days.  It's strange how breaking apart actually makes you stronger.  I see that happening though, in very small ways. It's a glimmer of hope really...emotionally speaking.

In the morning, we will talk to our doctor here about the logistics of getting to Salt Lake on Tuesday.  I'm not sure it's all that reasonable to travel if she should still be here in the hospital.  We can have a conference call to get pathology results.  We'll see.  If I had concerns about the level of care we are getting at our little county hospital, I would have been gone by now but our care has been the best we've ever had.  

My Wasband is going to take over the night shift for tonight.  I don't necessarily get to go home to sleep.  I get to go home and finish my taxes so Greta from the IRS still wants to be my friend!  I'll be back before the sun comes up.

Thank you to all the prayers and thoughts that have been offered on our behalf.  I know the prayers are coming from far and wide.  It's amazing to see.  We are really blessed.



  1. Kathy...I am speechless. You are without a doubt the strongest person I know. I pray that the doctors will know how to help poor Shelbie. I will pray for comfort and peace for both of you and angels to surround your family.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Some Results

I was surprised to get a brief update from our doctor this morning.

They did not catch any seizure activity last week.  She said that while that may be good news, it didn't rule out deep structure seizures.   I asked if the test gave any insight to the cause of the slowing of activity in her brain and these were her words.

" No, this does not give an answer ... But it is just one test, done one time ..."

We are still waiting on the MRI results.  I'm not losing hope.  I know, I play this game ALL THE TIME...I wish for problems that no one in their right mind would wish for.  I only do that because it's usually the option with a fix.  Of all the things they are considering to be an issue for Shelbie, seizures are the simplest explanation and medication would manage it.

I'm certain we aren't going to find a solution to her problems any time soon.  While I sat in the waiting room during her 2 hour MRI last Thursday, there was a couple in the room as well.  A…

Random Saturday

Whenever I feel like we are careening out of control, I declutter and clean.  By midnight on Friday, I had 1/3 of my living room filled with stuff I didn't want.  Today, I made a couple of trips to the thrift store and the dump.

Ahhh, I feel like I lost 20 pounds.

When Sam came home after his first week at school a while back, he said, "Wow, my room looks the same."

"What did you think your room would look like?"  I asked.


Turkey!  He came home this morning with his laundry and was a bit despaired.  He said, "Mom, you gotta help me with the smell in my apartment!  I can't stand it anymore! Do we have any Ozium?"

He went on to explain that there is no garbage disposal in the kitchen sink but food gets crammed down there anyways.  He said he keeps putting the little metal drains in that are meant to catch bits of food but his roommates take them out.  He's about fed up.  And while he was on his rant about boys and their leve…

A Witness

I was expecting just another run of the mill night at the gym last night.  The kind where the 'meat heads' stay at their end of the gym grunting and groaning to sound strong and I would claim a little corner in the room where the Yogi's hang out and Plank, and there I would Spin on a bike for a few miles, do some rowing, a little TRX and finish up with some free weights.

Last night though, I actually decided to do an easier workout and took an inclined walk on the treadmill.  There were no meat heads in far end of the gym.  No one really at the gym at all.  For the longest time, I kept pace with an old guy on a bike behind me.

But then, a man and his son came in.  I knew them.  I knew them well but they don't know just how well I know them.  They have a son who passed away from Cystic Fibrosis a little while ago, he would have been Spencer's age now.  They have a younger son who also has CF.  I knew his wife and mother in law back when my kids were being diagnosed.…