Time Travel
Last night, Shelbie and I watched a time traveling movie, About Time.
The men in one family were able to travel through time, the gift was disclosed to the young man on his 21st birthday. So the whole movie is about this ability to travel through time. After some years, his father finds out he has cancer and sits his son down for one more family secret. The secret is that he could and should, live each day twice. Live it the first time as it unfolds but then travel back and live it again, this time without all the angst of the day and observe each moment.
How great would that be? If you could really live the hard days over again, knowing full well it all works out in the end! I can't imagine how much easier and joyful life would be.
I got to wondering, even though it isn't possible to time travel, is it possible to get through the day the first time, without worry? In theory it is. It's called Faith. Living in the moment. Getting your Zen on!
I wish I was better at that. I need to work on that.
Instead, each day is filled with the most bizarre twists and turns of fate that make my stomach roll. I find that by the end of the day, my knuckles are white and my muscles are knotted. The angst is like a leather cord around my neck, about to choke off my last breath! That is no way to live! I hate living each day on the edge of my seat.
So, no time like the present.
Early this morning, Sam woke me up at 4:10, puke bucket in hand, the whole nine yards. Normally, in this moment, I would have felt the familiar grip in my gut, prepared for the worst case scenario. In a split second, I would have already rearranged my entire day and made plans for this escalate to epic proportions, a bacterial infection raging through his body.
Instead...I got him some Zofran so he wouldn't puke forever and made him comfortable in my bed so he could be close to a bathroom. I didn't worry and fret, just did what needed to be done without judging the situation any further. It felt good! Almost as good as time traveling! Admittedly, it takes an awful lot of energy and patience to pull this off, not to mention, mindfulness! It takes a lot of mindfulness.
I'm taking this on as my challenge for the week. I have a big week ahead of me with hard things to do every single day. I'll let you know how it goes...just for the record.
The men in one family were able to travel through time, the gift was disclosed to the young man on his 21st birthday. So the whole movie is about this ability to travel through time. After some years, his father finds out he has cancer and sits his son down for one more family secret. The secret is that he could and should, live each day twice. Live it the first time as it unfolds but then travel back and live it again, this time without all the angst of the day and observe each moment.
How great would that be? If you could really live the hard days over again, knowing full well it all works out in the end! I can't imagine how much easier and joyful life would be.
I got to wondering, even though it isn't possible to time travel, is it possible to get through the day the first time, without worry? In theory it is. It's called Faith. Living in the moment. Getting your Zen on!
I wish I was better at that. I need to work on that.
Instead, each day is filled with the most bizarre twists and turns of fate that make my stomach roll. I find that by the end of the day, my knuckles are white and my muscles are knotted. The angst is like a leather cord around my neck, about to choke off my last breath! That is no way to live! I hate living each day on the edge of my seat.
So, no time like the present.
Early this morning, Sam woke me up at 4:10, puke bucket in hand, the whole nine yards. Normally, in this moment, I would have felt the familiar grip in my gut, prepared for the worst case scenario. In a split second, I would have already rearranged my entire day and made plans for this escalate to epic proportions, a bacterial infection raging through his body.
Instead...I got him some Zofran so he wouldn't puke forever and made him comfortable in my bed so he could be close to a bathroom. I didn't worry and fret, just did what needed to be done without judging the situation any further. It felt good! Almost as good as time traveling! Admittedly, it takes an awful lot of energy and patience to pull this off, not to mention, mindfulness! It takes a lot of mindfulness.
I'm taking this on as my challenge for the week. I have a big week ahead of me with hard things to do every single day. I'll let you know how it goes...just for the record.
Comments
Post a Comment