Pulmonology

We made it home from Boise today.  For some reason, this was a harder trip than I had been planning on.  It's not that anything bad or disappointing happened really, I think I am just so run down I didn't have the stamina I usually have for these events.  We couldn't even leave for Boise until after 8pm on Tuesday so we didn't get to our hotel until 1:00 am and then had to be up and at it by 6:00am so we could get back over to St. Lukes.  Five hours of sleep is not great but it would have been nice to get 5 hours.  Sadly, the adjoining room was having some big party and sleeping was not really on their minds so that pretty much sealed the deal that it wasn't going to happen for us either.

No sleep and a day full of information and testing makes for a long day!  Last night, they did a sleep study on Spencer to try and figure out why he gasps for air and chokes for no apparent reason when he lays down and all through the night.  They think that it's related to his mitochondrial problems.  The Pulmonologist said that it is a common complaint in his Muscular Dystrophy patients.  I kept thinking in my head, 'Thanks for sharing that but he doesn't have Muscular Dystrophy' until I realized that both diseases have to do with weakened and diseased muscles so, I guess I can see the similarities.  I still didn't like to hear him comparing Spencer to his MD patients.

I really liked this doctor which is a lucky for us because he now joins our team of specialists.  He fits in well with our other doctors in Boise.  While we wait for results on all the testing we did, Spencer will do a little more here at home.  We are trying to figure out what to do with Spencer's asthma.  It has never been out of control to the point that he has to visit the ER but he has this continual, nagging cough that never goes away.  Dr. Goltry, the Pulmonologist, has Spencer doing some work with the peak flow meter over the next couple of months and using a spacer with his inhalers in order to get the medicine deeper into his lungs.  We'll see if that helps.

For the sleep study part, they wouldn't let me stay with Spencer in his hospital room because they were afraid if I tossed and turned in the recliner, I would disturb his sleep and their ability to get an accurate reading.  They offered me another room right beside Spencers.  I wasn't really keen on spending the night in a hospital room in a hospital bed and opted to find a hotel room but the nurse insisted, so I crashed there.  The weird thing is, the room had all these cameras in the ceiling.  I didn't really think anything of it until I got up in the night and walked the halls a bit and saw my empty bed on the monitors in the nurse's station!!  Creepy!  They were watching me sleep!

I had a hard time sleeping after that which probably made me look ridiculous because I was tossing a turning and not sleeping at all.  Finally at 5:30 am, I sat in a chair and wrote in my journal.  When Spencer was discharged that morning, they gave us food vouchers for the cafeteria and we were off.  I so wanted to be home and I never want to pack another suitcase the rest of this year!!  I really like St. Lukes, they are good to us and so kind to Spencer.  Now, we wait...and wait and hope for good results!


Photobucket

Comments

Popular Posts