Still Kicking

Some things haven't change but at the same time, we struggle to keep up with everything that seems to be changing.  Nevertheless, I've been busy.  Super busy.  

I waited to do my taxes until the very last minute...July 12th.  I know what you're thinking, 'You're such a procrastinator.'  

Nope, I'm a planner, not a procrastinator...I had always planned to wait until the last minute...Ha ha.  Just kidding, I have a physical feeling of ill whenever I have to think about taxes, or anything related to finances.   If I didn't have to worry about money, my life would be awesome!  Seriously awesome.  Instead, every  day I face the problem of diminishing returns.    The harder I work the more money I lose to the government, hence the angst and procrastination. 

It's been 7 years since I had to pay taxes, I've always gotten a return so I was thinking this year wouldn't be any different but that idea fell short the second it left my brain.  I had to pay $6000 on a net income of $12,000.   I know, it makes no sense whatsoever and this was on top of the quarterly taxes I pay throughout the year.  Apparently, the government miscalculated my health insurance tax credit so I owed a ton of money back to them.   I swear they can't ever get insurance right.    

Normally, I could come up with this but because I left it so late, I had only a couple of days to come up with the money or drain my savings.  I put in 20 hour days in order to get some drawings done earlier than planned in hopes of collecting payment.  It didn't quite work out despite my long hours, people just drag their feet when it comes to payment, but the taxes got paid before midnight on the 15th.  It's left me with a serious cash flow issue so that meant even more hours and harder work.  

I finally came up for breath and feel like I can breathe again now that I am caught up on bills and all the things...blah, blah, blah. 

Speaking of diminishing returns...I think that is this year's theme.  The Coronavirus has trashed us in many, almost imperceptible ways.   The isolation, the fear despite limiting social media, the pause in regular healthcare has all been hard.  We literally have done nothing but work.  The only time I leave my computer is for preparing meals or running Shelbie somewhere.  It's been discouraging because one day, someone is going to leave this life and do I really want to look back with regret that I was more connected to work than the people I love?

Of course not, but this life, even an impoverished life is hard to provide.  I have thoughts a million times a day, I need to get married so I'm not doing this alone anymore but then...well, you know.  Dating at my age sucks the life out of any sane person. 

Anyways, in other news...I did decide that for Sam's first Saturday off in a couple of years, we would do something fun for at least half the day and we had a great time!  We went to the city to a small aquarium there.  It was amazing.  We were the only ones there and we never even saw a staff member or anyone to supervise the animals.  The kids played with the birds, fed just about every fish and stingray, and hung out with the lizards.   (Side note...It seems my phobia of germs, people, places...is expanding in my head so this was a very stressful event to watch my kids with zero immune system letting these creatures crawl all over them...but alas...life goes on with or without my brain)

Without a doubt, these kids of mine were in Heaven and it was exactly what they needed. 





I wish I had gotten this on video.  Shelbie was standing close to where the lizards were but her back was to the rocks.  This big lizard crawled up on her arm and though she initially freaked out, she decided to 'embrace' the moment as seen in the picture above.  That was all well and good but then she wanted him off but couldn't pick him up with one hand and he kept crawling up higher on her neck.   I refused to touch the critter and Sam was covered in lizards so he was no help so I told her to kneel down next to the rock and we would coax him back to his home with some lettuce...Sure enough, it worked but there she was on all fours, in turtle pee and who knows what else.

This picture makes me laugh!  That lizard looks so happy to chillin with Sam!  

I actually decided I don't hate lizards as much as I thought I did.  These guys were funny and they seem like they would make kind of fun pets, not that that is going to happen anytime soon or at all. 

I was happy to see the kids relaxing and forgetting about our current state of things.  It was worth it and I'm proud of me for not being a stick in the mud with all the germs they were exposed to. 



Comments

Popular Posts