My Happy Place

This year has been a little worrisome in a way I haven't mentioned before.  The kids really want to move to Utah and I really don't want to move to Utah.  Their dad lives in Utah so I always tell them, "There's the door, go hang out with him for awhile."  I'm even getting push back from my Wasband to move to Utah to be closer to him, which I realize sounds weird but he could be there more emotionally for the kids, maybe.  

Anyways, I've waffled back and forth.  I detest Utah, in every way but I have been looking for property in areas I think I could be happy like Heber, West Jordan, Layton, Spanish Fork; places a little more out of the way.  I found some homes and neighborhoods that I actually really liked.   I started looking for possible jobs.  I have been praying to know what to do.   It's been really hard because I don't do well not making everyone happy.  Seeing how unhappy my kids are these days made me feel panic to hurry and make a decision.  I can see myself living somewhere else.  I don't necessarily love this town.  We have been judged time and again but still, it's home.  I guess I am familiar with the problems here and can handle them...especially now that social distancing is to cool! 

This week, Shelbie finally said, "Mom, I think I decided I'm willing to stay here.  We have a pretty good home if we could just fix it up a little."  I kind of felt relieved and since all the violence around the country, including Utah, this is as safe a place as any but I fully realize there are few opportunities here for dating, progressing in my job, medical care etc.   

Together we made a list of what we needed to do to to make the house a place that she loved.  This week, we jumped right in and tackled some of the things.  I made some shelves for my office so I could be more organized.  We made shelves for the living room and bought some new rocking chairs for our outdoor fireplace.    Each month we will budget a little money and do what we can.  Mostly it will be Shelbie deciding how she wants the house to look because I don't really care, I care more that she feels some independence.  

I'm so happy with our first project...refreshing our gallery wall!  I love everything about this wall.  I've had so many cool pictures just sitting in totes with no place to display them.  This room has really become my happy place!  Home.  A room that tells the story of all that I love.  I will keep collecting pictures to add, I'm missing some family pics and Spencer and Ashtin but it's coming together. 




A picture of me when I was about 4 or 5 years old

Sam and Cass, and our family Caricature from Spencer's Make a Wish trip in New York. 


My babies...I can't even believe how little they use to be.  Man, we've covered some living. 



I love this picture of my parents I stole...


I don't know the context of this picture but it's a picture of my Grandma Pratt when she was so young.  She's on the far left. 

This was me when I was fierce.  I had a seriously big forehead and lousy bangs!  Ha ha.

Another favorite of my parents and little snapshot of my mom, on the right, and my Grandma Fletcher. 

Shelbie chose this picture of her from our only family vacation to San Francisco two years ago! 
We'll add more as we collect them.  I asked Ashtin to send me her favorite picture of her and Spence and this is what she sent right over...I think I'm going to frame it just for kicks and giggles.  

Those two!  A couple of goofballs. 




 

Comments

Popular Posts