Could it be any crazier?
I don't know what things are like in your neck of the woods but between Coronavirus, Chad and Lori Daybell bringing shame to our little town for their shenanigans, and our usual nonsense, life is out of control.
I have a few words to say on the Coronavirus debacle. It's completely insane and in a matter of days, our world has turned upside down. I don't understand it at all. I am way more scared of Influenza and the stomach flu than Coronavirus.
We are part of the unlucky population that if we were to get the Flu or Coronavirus, it would be a battle. Though, fun fact, Spencer had H1N1 when that was a thing and Shelbie got it two years ago when it wasn't a thing and both were terribly sick. Shelbie's lungs are barely hanging in there, Sam has had pneumonia so many times they are fragile and he has venous malformations and cysts in his lungs and Spencer has bad asthma and gets sick at the drop of a hat, so there is cause for worry, but not for panic. It's the panic that has me nervous.
Our town is absolutely nuts. People are clearing the shelves at all the grocery stores. People are even stealing toilet paper from church buildings, movie theaters, restaurants. It's terrible.
I have some serious concerns. Next week, Shelbie has her three month recheck on her lungs. Because of her ongoing inflammatory eye disease, I can tell her body is fired up. Her breathing has become more difficult and with any exertion, she struggles to breathe and ends up in coughing fits. I worry that they are going to cancel her appointment and limit who is coming and going from the hospital. If they do that and the tumors have grown then what? If they still let us go to the appointment what risk will she be at in a hospital where there are active cases of Coronavirus and Influenza. Two weeks ago, they sent an email giving us the new protocol for when we come and the kids have to wear a mask. All the healthy, paranoid, irrational people bought up all the available masks, in fact, they bought up all the medical supplies that people like us actually require to stay alive. That's very irritating. This weekend, I plan to make some homemade masks.
I'm also worried that healthy people are filling up the hospitals and overloading the system so that the truly sick and fragile people will not be able to get care. This is playing out in epic ways in Italy. They are forced to choose who gets treatment and who is left to die. That is terrifying for a mom who has three medically fragile kids. People are out of control. They get a sniffle and run to the ER, demanding a Coronavirus test and treatment. There is no treatment! What difference does it make if you get a test or not, it won't change how you are cared for. Support the symptoms, that is the best anyone can do.
I worry about Spencer. Hollywood has shut down. He finally got work that has him booked out until April but now they are starting to cancel those and he will have no income. He is suppose to fly out to San Francisco next week for 10 days but that will probably get cancelled. I would really like him to come home for a few weeks, if in fact, his work falls through. I feel like my home is a pretty safe place to be right now and should anyone get sick, I think I can care for them better than he could care for himself. We'll have to wait and see how it all plays out.
Mostly, I struggle with self regulation. In my heart of heart, I am fairly calm but I feed off the frenzy of people around me and question everything. It feels so terrible to be anxious 24/7. Today, my basement flooded! It's such a sad mess. The water ruined my brand new carpet in the basement. I had to tear off the sheet rock on two walls, the studs are swollen with water. It took me all afternoon to find the source of the water leak. I have a literal hole in my foundation wall. Mud and water was just freely flowing into my basement. I had to run into Idaho Falls to some special concrete mix tonight and even at Lowe's, people were running to get the last bottles of bleach and paper towel. Apparently, it was the last store in town to carry any bleach or paper towels.
Anyways, we are in a mess but at the same time, working together to try to make the best of things.
Comments
Post a Comment