It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!!
29 gifts! My traditional way to start the new year...give away 29 acts of service in 29 days is back in my life and week one is done!
Every day, I learn more about the importance and healing properties of kindness, love and connection. It doesn't matter where we stand, how much money we have or don't have, we have something to offer someone else. It's that little thing, that can potentially start a cascade of big, beautiful things. In the past, I've done a lot of anonymous things and those are fun and I'm still doing plenty of that but since I'm on a connection kick...I decided to do things for people that connect us and that has been an interesting change.
So, what does that look like exactly?
Well, start the day off with a prayer to notice things...people. People who may be lonely, lost, tired. Without fail, an opportunity presents itself. There is something powerful about intention combined with prayer. You see things differently. You see people in a whole new light.
The past few days, I've taken two meals in to unsuspecting families who I really don't know. One girl was just days away from delivering baby number 4 and she runs a daycare so she is one busy woman. I surprised her with lunch and a little break from her duties. This one was fun because she doesn't know me very well, we've only met once, so it was a huge surprise for her.
Shelbie, Sam and I pooled our money and bought 10 Little Caesar Pizza's and dropped them off to unsuspecting people during the dinner hour. We gave a couple to some people coming out of the Temple, Walmart, a Police Officer, some workers at the plasma donation center, Grease Monkey, and stopped at a couple of random homes in town. We spoke to each person, asked how their day had been and wished them a happy night! It was so fun! At Grease Monkey, we also gave a pizza to a woman who had just gotten her oil changed and while we were talking to her, she mentioned she needed someone to help her get a car back to her house so Sam jumped in her extra car that was there and drove it home for her. We followed behind. That was a great night.
While grocery shopping, a woman with her three toddlers took down an entire end cap of donuts! Her diaper bag got caught on the corner and dozens of packages fell to the ground. Her kids were cranky so I jumped in and told her not to worry about the mess and I cleaned it up for her.
There is a lady I know who deals with a lot of anxiety and depression and I happened to know that one thing that makes her feel better is a Cherry Pepsi. One morning this week, I surprised her with a cold soda and it made it her so happy.
I am not going to post about this every day and probably not every week but I challenge you to start your own 29 Gifts activity as a family or by yourself. It makes a big difference in the day and connects us in little, but important ways.
Every day, I learn more about the importance and healing properties of kindness, love and connection. It doesn't matter where we stand, how much money we have or don't have, we have something to offer someone else. It's that little thing, that can potentially start a cascade of big, beautiful things. In the past, I've done a lot of anonymous things and those are fun and I'm still doing plenty of that but since I'm on a connection kick...I decided to do things for people that connect us and that has been an interesting change.
So, what does that look like exactly?
Well, start the day off with a prayer to notice things...people. People who may be lonely, lost, tired. Without fail, an opportunity presents itself. There is something powerful about intention combined with prayer. You see things differently. You see people in a whole new light.
The past few days, I've taken two meals in to unsuspecting families who I really don't know. One girl was just days away from delivering baby number 4 and she runs a daycare so she is one busy woman. I surprised her with lunch and a little break from her duties. This one was fun because she doesn't know me very well, we've only met once, so it was a huge surprise for her.
Shelbie, Sam and I pooled our money and bought 10 Little Caesar Pizza's and dropped them off to unsuspecting people during the dinner hour. We gave a couple to some people coming out of the Temple, Walmart, a Police Officer, some workers at the plasma donation center, Grease Monkey, and stopped at a couple of random homes in town. We spoke to each person, asked how their day had been and wished them a happy night! It was so fun! At Grease Monkey, we also gave a pizza to a woman who had just gotten her oil changed and while we were talking to her, she mentioned she needed someone to help her get a car back to her house so Sam jumped in her extra car that was there and drove it home for her. We followed behind. That was a great night.
While grocery shopping, a woman with her three toddlers took down an entire end cap of donuts! Her diaper bag got caught on the corner and dozens of packages fell to the ground. Her kids were cranky so I jumped in and told her not to worry about the mess and I cleaned it up for her.
There is a lady I know who deals with a lot of anxiety and depression and I happened to know that one thing that makes her feel better is a Cherry Pepsi. One morning this week, I surprised her with a cold soda and it made it her so happy.
I am not going to post about this every day and probably not every week but I challenge you to start your own 29 Gifts activity as a family or by yourself. It makes a big difference in the day and connects us in little, but important ways.
Comments
Post a Comment