Skip to main content

A little glitch

Last week, out of the blue, our Neuroimmunologist emailed me to see how Shelbie was doing with the flu and mycoplasma, which caught me off guard because, what doctor calls to check on a patient with the flu?   I told her she was on the mend and then she asked about seizure activity.  Shelbie has had a couple of episodes in the past week of being confused and problems with her speech again and a couple of times she fell while standing in the kitchen.  It has become so common anymore that I don't consider it a 'problem' but just the way it is anymore. When I think of seizures, I think of eye rolling, unconsciousness...not confusion, memory issues, word finding issues, etc.

A short while later, the doctor emailed me back and said she wanted to consulted her epilepsy colleagues because she felt they needed to follow up with these issues sooner than later. Friday, we were contacted that they were ready to have her checked in for a week long EEG of her brain.

It took some serious scrambling to make this work but she is wired up and we have day one under way.  I had to reschedule some doctor appointments we had back home for the kids, two job interviews and one presentation.  That eye of Spencer's...I'm going to miss his third appointment to figure out what to do with his poor eye!!'s been a sort of rough day.  Poor Shelbie has clearly reached her threshold of dealing with these issues.  She's been pretty upset all day and usually, she takes it all in stride.  We've done so well at pushing the reality of this situation so far from us.  She has 30 wires attached to her head and chest and they will stay there until Thursday night.

She is allowed to leave the hospital for the night so we are staying in a hotel.  During the day, we go back and they replace wires and batteries, download information, review the information and I'm not sure what else will happen. We'll see tomorrow.  I had read that they were suppose to wrap her head in a gauze wrap to protect the wires and  such but they had run out of wraps so we had to leave with her looking like a zombie.  We walked from the third floor of the hospital, through the clinics, down the main corridor, past Starbucks with Shelbie sobbing and a pony tail of wires, and her pack of monitoring equipment.  Let's just say, we didn't exactly disappear in the crowds.  

We went to Target to find a scarf or beanie she could wear so she doesn't scare people and I thought it would help her calm down a little and distract her.  But I forgot, we are in crazytown!  When you only have one nerve left, Salt Lake is perfect for fraying that quick, fast and in a hurry!  A man walked in to the store and he was possessed!  The noises coming from his mouth were not human.  He was loud and scary and you could feel the entire store shudder.  His voice boomed through the air and he was walking towards us.  I just froze in unbelief and Shelbie went into full blown panic.  It was a rather scary moment.  We grabbed the nearest scarf and got the heck out of there.

When they started the scan, the entire screen looked like a scribbling mess of a 4 year old.  The tech said, "Oh my!! Calm down honey! Look, just calm down.  You're okay!"  She spent about 10 minutes just getting some sort of normal brain pattern on the screen by doing some breathing exercises and relaxation things with her.  I had no idea how much stress affects your brain waves!  No wonder I can't concentrate on anything, my brain must be a total mess!  Shelbie's started looking better after a bit.  She said I need to keep her calm and relaxed!  Funny.

The best we can hope for at this point is seizure activity.  I always find myself saying the craziest things but seizures can be managed.  Strokes, Central Nervous System problems and brain deterioration due to shortened telomeres are all unmanageable and progressive.  I can't imagine that that becomes our fate.

We are a little on edge this week.  A little nervous.  A little upset.  A little of everything.  As recent as Sunday, she had an episode of word confusion.  It lasted a couple of hours.  I really hope they catch something.  I really hope we get some answers at the end of all this and hope she has many more good years with this poor brain of hers!!



Popular posts from this blog

Some Results

I was surprised to get a brief update from our doctor this morning.

They did not catch any seizure activity last week.  She said that while that may be good news, it didn't rule out deep structure seizures.   I asked if the test gave any insight to the cause of the slowing of activity in her brain and these were her words.

" No, this does not give an answer ... But it is just one test, done one time ..."

We are still waiting on the MRI results.  I'm not losing hope.  I know, I play this game ALL THE TIME...I wish for problems that no one in their right mind would wish for.  I only do that because it's usually the option with a fix.  Of all the things they are considering to be an issue for Shelbie, seizures are the simplest explanation and medication would manage it.

I'm certain we aren't going to find a solution to her problems any time soon.  While I sat in the waiting room during her 2 hour MRI last Thursday, there was a couple in the room as well.  A…

Random Saturday

Whenever I feel like we are careening out of control, I declutter and clean.  By midnight on Friday, I had 1/3 of my living room filled with stuff I didn't want.  Today, I made a couple of trips to the thrift store and the dump.

Ahhh, I feel like I lost 20 pounds.

When Sam came home after his first week at school a while back, he said, "Wow, my room looks the same."

"What did you think your room would look like?"  I asked.


Turkey!  He came home this morning with his laundry and was a bit despaired.  He said, "Mom, you gotta help me with the smell in my apartment!  I can't stand it anymore! Do we have any Ozium?"

He went on to explain that there is no garbage disposal in the kitchen sink but food gets crammed down there anyways.  He said he keeps putting the little metal drains in that are meant to catch bits of food but his roommates take them out.  He's about fed up.  And while he was on his rant about boys and their leve…

A Witness

I was expecting just another run of the mill night at the gym last night.  The kind where the 'meat heads' stay at their end of the gym grunting and groaning to sound strong and I would claim a little corner in the room where the Yogi's hang out and Plank, and there I would Spin on a bike for a few miles, do some rowing, a little TRX and finish up with some free weights.

Last night though, I actually decided to do an easier workout and took an inclined walk on the treadmill.  There were no meat heads in far end of the gym.  No one really at the gym at all.  For the longest time, I kept pace with an old guy on a bike behind me.

But then, a man and his son came in.  I knew them.  I knew them well but they don't know just how well I know them.  They have a son who passed away from Cystic Fibrosis a little while ago, he would have been Spencer's age now.  They have a younger son who also has CF.  I knew his wife and mother in law back when my kids were being diagnosed.…