Merry Christmas

 How many times have I sung the song, O Holy Night?  Probably a hundred or so but heard it play on the radio at least a hundred more.  Never until a couple of weeks ago, did I 'hear' the words and I have pondered them over and over.

I love the line, 'Til he appeared and the soul felt its worth'

My kids have been gone most of the week to spend Christmas with their dad.  He was very kind to invite me to come as well, but I decided it was more important for him to have time alone with them.  We gather often together and I wouldn't want it any other way, but he rarely has opportunities to be with them without me and I feel that is important.  I have also been battling this darn Lupus flair so it seemed to make sense for me to try to get some extra rest without the hustle and bustle that naturally comes with Christmas.  

Admittedly, the days have felt lonely and isolating.  I was surprised to be more lonely than I anticipated.  I have spent countless Holidays alone and it doesn't bother me much.  I guess the weight of the world was heavier  this year than I noticed, until the tension had let up.  Space to be alone doesn't happen much and if it does, I fill it with something so I don't have to think and worry about things that have not even happened. 

To my surprise, the kids had bought me Christmas Pj's and Facetimed me Christmas Eve while I opened them.   But an even bigger surprise were the gifts they hid around the house.  This morning, they Facetimed me again and each of them read a clue and I had to find the little treats and trinkets they hid.  It was so thoughtful and so loving.  I truly felt loved and felt my worth. 

Sometimes, when I reflect on my world, I am overwhelmed with how loving and kind my kids are to me.  It is one of my greatest blessings.  

I was able to visit for awhile with some other people I know who were alone today and it truly helped me feel the love of our Savior.  I guess it is why I love this time of year...the bright shining light of the Lord is just a little brighter and little easier to see than any other time of the year. 

Merry Christmas! 


Oh Holy Night, 

The stars are brightly shining                                                                                                                       It is the night of the dear Savior's birth.                                                                                                   Long lay the world in sin and error pining                                                                                                   Till he appear'd and the soul felt its worth.                                                                                                   A thrill of hope the weary soul rejoices                                                                                                       For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn!

Fall on your knees
Oh hear the angel voices
Oh night divine
Oh night when Christ was born
Oh night divine
Oh night divine

Led by the light of Faith serenely beaming
With glowing hearts by His cradle we stand
So led by light of a star sweetly gleaming
Here come the wise men from Orient land
The King of Kings lay thus in lowly manger
In all our trials born to be our friend

Truly He taught us to love one another
His law is love and His gospel is peace
Chains shall He break for the slave is our brother
And in His name all oppression shall cease
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
Let all within us praise His holy name

Comments

Popular Posts