More, more, more
Well, I think it's probably safe to say we are officially in a rough patch.
Spencer did in fact break three fingers last night, extensive ligament and soft tissue damage, all on the left hand and he sprained his right wrist and has some ligaments damaged on the right hand. They put his left hand in a cast, up to his elbow and he's got the right hand wrapped. Tomorrow, he is scheduled to shoot a music video for the Bonner Family and as of this afternoon, that is still is plan. I've learned to not question my kids...there's no way I would be holding a 35 pound camera, all day, 36 hours after breaking 3 fingers and two sprained wrists but I'm not Spencer. Spencer will show up and will be a great video!
Today was cardiology for Sam. Nothing earth shattering there. The lower part of his heart is still needing to use the pacemaker to initiate a beat more than the doctor is comfortable with so they made another adjustment on the pacemaker so his heart has to struggle for a few more beats until they allow the pacemaker to kick in. We'll see how that goes.
I think in all the difficult things this week, I forgot to mention that Sam started a new job this week. Yesterday was his first day! He is apprenticing out at a custom furniture shop. He worked nearly 12 hours yesterday and learned a lot already. He will continue to work his Frito Lay job and this new one.
Shelbie saw the Opthalmologist today. I'm glad we didn't put this off another day. She has scleritis which I was pretty certain of last week. The white part of her eye is swollen and inflamed. It's an autoimmune disease. The surprising part though, was that her eye pressure is dangerously high. He is going to give her two weeks so we can get the scleritis under control and recheck, but if it isn't well within normal ranges, we will be begin treatment for glaucoma! Ugh. She has no clue the seriousness of this but she was trying to hold in her emotions through the whole visit, mostly because she's tired of feeling lousy and facing problem after problem.
Glaucoma is an old person's disease, not a disease for 27 year old young women. Ironically, it is one of the symptoms of this dang gene mutation that was just found. Something tells me the timing of this gene and these current problems are no coincidence. If in two weeks, they decide to call this glaucoma, I will not be waiting around for doctors to decide if they want to hang their hat on this TREX1 mutation. There's no way a completely healthy young adult get glaucoma!
The only thing Shelbie knows about glaucoma is that people use that as an excuse to smoke marijuana so of course, she couldn't let an opportunity pass without a joke about it...
"Does this mean I get to smoke marijuana now?" She asked.
Our chuckling doctor said, "Well, if that actually worked, I would consider it but it does nothing for glaucoma!"
These are hard things the kids are facing but we are showing up! Lessons from the past are actually sticking and that's a good thing...the bad thing is...we will be trusted to learn new, more difficult things so we can continue to grow and fit for Heaven at some distant day.
Spencer did in fact break three fingers last night, extensive ligament and soft tissue damage, all on the left hand and he sprained his right wrist and has some ligaments damaged on the right hand. They put his left hand in a cast, up to his elbow and he's got the right hand wrapped. Tomorrow, he is scheduled to shoot a music video for the Bonner Family and as of this afternoon, that is still is plan. I've learned to not question my kids...there's no way I would be holding a 35 pound camera, all day, 36 hours after breaking 3 fingers and two sprained wrists but I'm not Spencer. Spencer will show up and will be a great video!
Today was cardiology for Sam. Nothing earth shattering there. The lower part of his heart is still needing to use the pacemaker to initiate a beat more than the doctor is comfortable with so they made another adjustment on the pacemaker so his heart has to struggle for a few more beats until they allow the pacemaker to kick in. We'll see how that goes.
I think in all the difficult things this week, I forgot to mention that Sam started a new job this week. Yesterday was his first day! He is apprenticing out at a custom furniture shop. He worked nearly 12 hours yesterday and learned a lot already. He will continue to work his Frito Lay job and this new one.
Shelbie saw the Opthalmologist today. I'm glad we didn't put this off another day. She has scleritis which I was pretty certain of last week. The white part of her eye is swollen and inflamed. It's an autoimmune disease. The surprising part though, was that her eye pressure is dangerously high. He is going to give her two weeks so we can get the scleritis under control and recheck, but if it isn't well within normal ranges, we will be begin treatment for glaucoma! Ugh. She has no clue the seriousness of this but she was trying to hold in her emotions through the whole visit, mostly because she's tired of feeling lousy and facing problem after problem.
Glaucoma is an old person's disease, not a disease for 27 year old young women. Ironically, it is one of the symptoms of this dang gene mutation that was just found. Something tells me the timing of this gene and these current problems are no coincidence. If in two weeks, they decide to call this glaucoma, I will not be waiting around for doctors to decide if they want to hang their hat on this TREX1 mutation. There's no way a completely healthy young adult get glaucoma!
The only thing Shelbie knows about glaucoma is that people use that as an excuse to smoke marijuana so of course, she couldn't let an opportunity pass without a joke about it...
"Does this mean I get to smoke marijuana now?" She asked.
Our chuckling doctor said, "Well, if that actually worked, I would consider it but it does nothing for glaucoma!"
These are hard things the kids are facing but we are showing up! Lessons from the past are actually sticking and that's a good thing...the bad thing is...we will be trusted to learn new, more difficult things so we can continue to grow and fit for Heaven at some distant day.
Spencer (well, all your kids, really...) amazes me.
ReplyDelete