Sittin and Thinkin
We've had the week off from Salt Lake but we have not had the week off.
Last week, Shelbie was around a few people who were sick with colds. No matter how much people know about the weakened immune system of my kids, they never seem it's a big deal. Well, it has been a big deal. It started as a cold and then set off a cascade of problems. She has an eye infection, spent a day puking, ended up with Costochondritis, two shots in each hip and host of other little annoyances.
I know it's hard to see their fragile health, sometimes, it's only evident when the common cold strikes.
Also this week, I was reminded why I hate taking prescriptions. I started that new med a few weeks ago for my new autoimmune condition. Yesterday, I ended up with a kidney stone and a massive infection. It came on so quickly. One minute, I was fine and the next minute I wasn't. I was passing lots of red blood and clots so I ran down to the urgent care. I didn't have any pain out of the ordinary, no fever, nothing so I was really worried at the sudden onset. Clearly, my tests showed I was not okay but I was so confused that I felt relatively fine.
But then...not even 45 minutes later, as I was picking up my antibiotics, it hit me. Man, I have never felt anything quite so miserable. Things progressed to a fever pitch. I was sick. I think I passed the stone through the night. Turns out the medication I started a few weeks ago concentrates uric acid in the kidney and hence the stone. Today has been better but I feel like a Clydesdale trampled on that struggling left kidney. I'm slightly irritated with a situation that was preventable...at least in my mind.
I have had to stop the medication because it has an interaction with the antibiotic they gave me, which is too bad. It did help a lot and I haven't been in near the amount of pain I was in, but there's no way I'm going back on it after the past two days I've had.
So, what to do now. I've got to find another way to figure out my health.
Last week, Shelbie was around a few people who were sick with colds. No matter how much people know about the weakened immune system of my kids, they never seem it's a big deal. Well, it has been a big deal. It started as a cold and then set off a cascade of problems. She has an eye infection, spent a day puking, ended up with Costochondritis, two shots in each hip and host of other little annoyances.
I know it's hard to see their fragile health, sometimes, it's only evident when the common cold strikes.
Also this week, I was reminded why I hate taking prescriptions. I started that new med a few weeks ago for my new autoimmune condition. Yesterday, I ended up with a kidney stone and a massive infection. It came on so quickly. One minute, I was fine and the next minute I wasn't. I was passing lots of red blood and clots so I ran down to the urgent care. I didn't have any pain out of the ordinary, no fever, nothing so I was really worried at the sudden onset. Clearly, my tests showed I was not okay but I was so confused that I felt relatively fine.
But then...not even 45 minutes later, as I was picking up my antibiotics, it hit me. Man, I have never felt anything quite so miserable. Things progressed to a fever pitch. I was sick. I think I passed the stone through the night. Turns out the medication I started a few weeks ago concentrates uric acid in the kidney and hence the stone. Today has been better but I feel like a Clydesdale trampled on that struggling left kidney. I'm slightly irritated with a situation that was preventable...at least in my mind.
I have had to stop the medication because it has an interaction with the antibiotic they gave me, which is too bad. It did help a lot and I haven't been in near the amount of pain I was in, but there's no way I'm going back on it after the past two days I've had.
So, what to do now. I've got to find another way to figure out my health.
Comments
Post a Comment