Surprising results
Yesterday, most of Shelbie's test results from last week were posted to the electronic chart.
It was surprising.
Her platelets are the lowest they have been in several years, just barely above 100. With her history of ITP (Immune Thrombocytopenia) her symptoms the past month is starting to make a little more sense. I forget from year to year where we've been and what the landscape of the past really looks like. I just keep bulldozing along.
Shelbie reminded me that each relapse of her ITP, she ran a low grade fever and had major sweats. After she mentioned that, I remembered how she would call me from school and I would have to go pick her up so she could change her clothes, they would be soaked with perspiration.
In addition to her low platelets, her white count is hovering close to 2 which is very low. There is a number referred to as the Mean Platelet Volume. This measures the size of the platelets. A high MPV means that her platelets are large...new platelets being pumped out of the marrow are large. So, with a low Platelet count and high MPV, it typically means her platelets are being destroyed and her marrow is trying to keep up with the destruction.
So, it's not a stretch to assume that she is relapsing into ITP. 100 platelets, though low are not yet in the danger zone so we will be keeping an eye on that. The high MPV worries me. It also explains the fever, her sleeping all the time and the sweats. Her body is using a ton of metabolic energy right now. I was hoping that her IVIG infusions would keep the ITP quiet.
It was interesting to me to see these results. Immediately, my brain starts trying to make sense of it but rather than start in with assumptions, I will patiently sit back and see what happens next. I may or may not be biting my nails while I sit patiently...just sayin'
It was surprising.
Her platelets are the lowest they have been in several years, just barely above 100. With her history of ITP (Immune Thrombocytopenia) her symptoms the past month is starting to make a little more sense. I forget from year to year where we've been and what the landscape of the past really looks like. I just keep bulldozing along.
Shelbie reminded me that each relapse of her ITP, she ran a low grade fever and had major sweats. After she mentioned that, I remembered how she would call me from school and I would have to go pick her up so she could change her clothes, they would be soaked with perspiration.
In addition to her low platelets, her white count is hovering close to 2 which is very low. There is a number referred to as the Mean Platelet Volume. This measures the size of the platelets. A high MPV means that her platelets are large...new platelets being pumped out of the marrow are large. So, with a low Platelet count and high MPV, it typically means her platelets are being destroyed and her marrow is trying to keep up with the destruction.
So, it's not a stretch to assume that she is relapsing into ITP. 100 platelets, though low are not yet in the danger zone so we will be keeping an eye on that. The high MPV worries me. It also explains the fever, her sleeping all the time and the sweats. Her body is using a ton of metabolic energy right now. I was hoping that her IVIG infusions would keep the ITP quiet.
It was interesting to me to see these results. Immediately, my brain starts trying to make sense of it but rather than start in with assumptions, I will patiently sit back and see what happens next. I may or may not be biting my nails while I sit patiently...just sayin'
Comments
Post a Comment