Skip to main content

Looking Ahead

As our Pulmonologist, Dr. S promised, she met with our Cardiologist Dr. W. on Monday afternoon to discuss Shelbie's situation.  I've spent a great deal of the week, working with the Medical Assistants to get all the testing scheduled and our team assembled and appointments with each specialty co-ordinated.  After all that work, a nurse called me yesterday to say she wanted to move Shelbie's appointment with the Oncologist a week ahead, leaving the two boys.  I would have normally said yes but the thought of redoing everything we have worked so hard on this week, felt like a bridge too far.  It would be impossible to three other docs to move their schedules so we could come a week early.

It's going to be a heap of things and it will feel a little crazy. I was hoping to do the testing in the next week or so but we have to wait until the end of the month. So, it will all be done between two weeks and some very busy days.  Lately, the Wasband has been joining us on the medical trips but he will be missing in action this month due to work assignments but we'll get by.  It's not like the kids are babies or anything.  Those were crazy days when I did stuff like this by myself and they were little.

This time, they will each be doing something on their own at one point in the 5 days of appointments and testing just because I can't be with three people going three different directions.  One of the days, one of the kids will be down in radiology, one will be visiting with the cardiologist and one will be across the hospital with pulmonology. I'm having a little bit of anxiety about that and wish they would have spread things out but I guess we'll make it work. Missing 6 days of work is going to to be better than missing anymore.

The bathroom hasn't had much done to it this week.  I've had some things come up I wasn't planning on dealing with.  I'm hoping to get it finished by Monday, fingers crossed.   It's all sheet rocked so tile is all that is left.

Spencer will be home on Sunday but will be spending a few days at his dad's with the other kids for the big holiday weekend.  I can't remember the last time I had the kids for 4th of July.  My Wasband loves that holiday and he has created some really fun traditions around that day so I hate to disrupt the good things he has going.  His next door neighbor is a pyrotechnic guy and so those two spend several days wiring up fireworks. It's an impressive show.  My Wasband invited me to join in the festivities but I'm not sure if I will be doing that or staying home to work and get the house back in order.

I guess that is the extent of life around here.  Today is Canada day.  So shout out to my Canadian friends.   We may celebrate a little later with Poutine and sparklers!  You can tell I'm really into the day.


Popular posts from this blog

Obscure Sorrows

I sat on the bench like I usually do on Saturday mornings, the organ music was slow and quiet.  I think that's why I like playing there; its just slow and quiet.  I set the pace.  I mostly keep my eye on the music for fear of messing up but I did notice a couple walk in.  I had known them a few years ago, not well, but enough.  Enough to notice each other and say Hi.  I had heard recently that she had breast cancer.  She's likely a good 10 years younger than me.  Her red wig was striking, her eyebrows carefully in place and by all accounts, she made cancer look good.  
I had the strangest feeling I've never had before.  She has no idea, that somehow, I know all about her recent strife with cancer.  I have heard how it struck, how she deals; I know more than a distant acquaintance like me should know.   She is living this complicated, unfair, story that went off in a way she scarcely expected.  For a moment, I felt like I was an extra in her 3rd act; the struggle.  And, I wo…

A Witness

I was expecting just another run of the mill night at the gym last night.  The kind where the 'meat heads' stay at their end of the gym grunting and groaning to sound strong and I would claim a little corner in the room where the Yogi's hang out and Plank, and there I would Spin on a bike for a few miles, do some rowing, a little TRX and finish up with some free weights.

Last night though, I actually decided to do an easier workout and took an inclined walk on the treadmill.  There were no meat heads in far end of the gym.  No one really at the gym at all.  For the longest time, I kept pace with an old guy on a bike behind me.

But then, a man and his son came in.  I knew them.  I knew them well but they don't know just how well I know them.  They have a son who passed away from Cystic Fibrosis a little while ago, he would have been Spencer's age now.  They have a younger son who also has CF.  I knew his wife and mother in law back when my kids were being diagnosed.…


It has been an emotional weekend!  Holy Smokes.  I need a vacation from being sensitive.

It's been months since I have been able to find my homeless friend May.

Monday, I had this overwhelming feeling that she was in trouble and it dawned on me that I should call the apartment where she was last known to be.  They didn't answer.  They didn't answer my call all week!  Finally, yesterday (Friday) they called me back.  I was afraid that they wouldn't give me any information about May since I wasn't family so I lied!  I told them she was my great Aunt.  The manager hummed and hawed and finally gave the phone to a man who wondered what I wanted with her.  After some convincing, he told me that she had been arrested and taken to the State Mental Hospital.

I was so sad!  I immediately called the State Hospital and asked if I could speak to her but of course, they can't tell me if she is there or not...and, I couldn't remember her first, legal name.  She has sever…