Secret Santa
We had the surprise of a lifetime on Friday morning. I was expecting a meeting with some clients who were coming to the house to go over house plans. Just before the time they were suppose to arrive, I ended up on a phone call from my doctor's nurse who was giving me further instructions for more kidney testing today. In the middle of that, I heard Shelbie shriek from the front room, "MOM!! You better get out here!" No sooner did she say that but the doorbell rang.
I practically hung up on the nurse and hurried to the front room. I opened the door and saw this sight!
So many friends on my front walk as well as two news cameras and some other news people. It was a local news station- East Idaho News. Every December, they help a Secret Santa give away $100,000. This year he doubled the amount to give away. We happened to be one of the lucky families. I was absolutely stunned and shocked and immediately humbled.
With the news team and friends, was the up and coming, amazing vocalist Lexi Walker. She is a 15 year old with the voice of an Angel. She sang at President Trumps Inaugural Ball earlier this year and has done gigs with Alex Boye, The Piano Guys and even big names on Broadway. She was here to see us "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" It was so amazing!
I practically hung up on the nurse and hurried to the front room. I opened the door and saw this sight!
![]() |
| Photo Credit- East Idaho News |
With the news team and friends, was the up and coming, amazing vocalist Lexi Walker. She is a 15 year old with the voice of an Angel. She sang at President Trumps Inaugural Ball earlier this year and has done gigs with Alex Boye, The Piano Guys and even big names on Broadway. She was here to see us "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" It was so amazing!
![]() |
| Lexi Walker- Photo Credit East Idaho News |
I'm still in shock over this. People have to vote each year for those in the community they think are deserving of money from the Secret Santa. It is usually people who have faced hardships of one kind or another. I think part of why I was so surprised, is because I don't really feel like we have hardships. I know we have crazy stuff going on but we manage and it's not something acute like cancer that comes so unexpectedly. It's all we've really known. I guess we still face the unexpected every day but somehow, I've never really thought of us in that way.
I was told that over 40 people voted for our family, which again, had me perplexed. I didn't think 40 people really knew us all that well let alone 40 people all thinking we could use some help! It's incredibly mind numbing for me to consider.
From the moment I opened the door until an hour after everyone left, I cried. In some ways, it felt like the cavalry riding in to the rescue. We get by just fine but I won't lie, this money has alleviated some serious worry and anxiety. On Friday afternoon, Sam's car died. I can't even tell you how happy it felt to not freak out but calmly get it taken care of and pay cash. He also had very bald tires so I could get him new tires too. There have been some other unexpected problems this weekend and the money helped take care of those.
Along with the money, we were given 4 tickets to Lexi Walker's concert here at the University on Saturday night. It was such a beautiful concert and felt so good to do something other than working.
We are feeling so blessed and humbled...in many, many ways. We really missed Spencer and I was hoping he could have come home for the concert but he had to work.
![]() |
| Photo Credit- East Idaho News |
Just the simple words 'Thank You' hardly seem adequate for something such as this. My heart has so much more I want to say but I remain overwhelmed. I don't know all the 40 some odd people who voted for us. I don't know the Secret Santa or all the people it took to pull this off. I wish I could thank them each individually.
On Friday night, Shelbie wanted to support a friend who was having a fundraiser for IVF. While we wandered around the craft booths, we came across a wooden sign that said, "We can do hard things." She bought it and Shelbie said, "I feel like we can really go on to do hard things."
There is so much power in kindness. In showing up. In a lot of ways, seeing all those people on my front step meant more to me than the money. When I burst into tears, I had no idea there was a check involved. So often, we feel isolated and on the fringes but on Friday, we didn't feel so alone. It was a good feeling. An overwhelming feeling...but good. The news video has now circulated a million times across the internet and I'm totally embarrassed. I couldn't even walk through Walmart without being recognized as 'that lady from the news'. I love my quiet, little invisible life...ha ha.
Thank you for all the wonderful people who care!



Hahaha, I saw that today!! I wondered if you would be wishing for an invisibility cloak after that. I just love ya, Kath!
ReplyDeleteThank you Charlotte. It's been a wild ride.
DeleteI’m in tears again just reading your write up. Such a neat experience for everyone. Love you Kathy!
ReplyDeleteYes it was. Pretty surreal! We love you guys!!
DeleteI was SO happy to see this! No one is more deserving and I am so happy it has alleviated some stress for you during the holidays. ❤
ReplyDeleteThank you Suzann. We are very blessed.
Delete