Skip to main content

Impeccable Timing

Today is one for the books...

It actually started last night when discovering that the microwave was broken.  I thought it was not running well for the past couple of weeks but didn't think much of it until it took 6 minutes to heat a slice of pizza until it was just under cold. The front door handle broke last night too.

This morning, I had to drive to Salt Lake for a presentation with some clients but upon entering the shower, there was no water! Not even a little tiny drop.  I checked all the sinks, toilets and nothing.  No water.  I spent about 45 minutes trying to figure out what to do but I really needed to be on the road in order to arrive to my meeting on time.  I threw on some clothes, did my make-up in less than 90 seconds and texted my home teacher to see if he had any ideas.

He came right over and then thought to check the main water valve in the basement.  It didn't seem terribly cold but there was water dripping from the pipe where the house meets the city pipes...7' underground and in my family room where it was room temperature.  He suggested we put a space heater on it so I did.  We went upstairs and Shelbie stumbles up announcing she is sick and nauseous which was great timing since we had no water!

As we stood there deliberating, all the faucets I had turned on to coax a drip out, started spewing water!  I was so happy!  I did some last minute things to make Shelbie comfortable and took off.

The roads were crazy!  There were parts that were a white out from the high winds.  Just outside of Salt Lake, it went from dry to solid ice.  Cars were going 80 mph and hit that ice and began sliding everywhere, hitting the concrete barrier, overturned on the shoulder...It was like driving through a mine field.  I couldn't believe I made it through that mess in one piece. It took me just over 4 hours to get there.

After my 3 hour meeting, I came straight home and again, the roads were an issue.  It took me nearly 5 hours.  At one point, an hour from home, there was a massive pile up of 8 cars.  The Interstate traffic was at a dead stop and emergency vehicles were trying to get through the traffic jam to the victims. there were 4 ambulances, 8 police cars, fire trucks.  Car parts and pieces were all over the road it was a scary mess.

After the day I had, I thought how very lucky I was...blessed!  If I had been just seconds sooner, I would have been involved in all those wrecks I drove through.   We were blessed the pipe didn't burst and flood the basement.  It's so odd to me that a pipe buried 7' under the ground would freeze solid.  It's crazy.   I don't understand what I was to learn from that part of the day.

All is well that ends well.



Popular posts from this blog

Some Results

I was surprised to get a brief update from our doctor this morning.

They did not catch any seizure activity last week.  She said that while that may be good news, it didn't rule out deep structure seizures.   I asked if the test gave any insight to the cause of the slowing of activity in her brain and these were her words.

" No, this does not give an answer ... But it is just one test, done one time ..."

We are still waiting on the MRI results.  I'm not losing hope.  I know, I play this game ALL THE TIME...I wish for problems that no one in their right mind would wish for.  I only do that because it's usually the option with a fix.  Of all the things they are considering to be an issue for Shelbie, seizures are the simplest explanation and medication would manage it.

I'm certain we aren't going to find a solution to her problems any time soon.  While I sat in the waiting room during her 2 hour MRI last Thursday, there was a couple in the room as well.  A…

Random Saturday

Whenever I feel like we are careening out of control, I declutter and clean.  By midnight on Friday, I had 1/3 of my living room filled with stuff I didn't want.  Today, I made a couple of trips to the thrift store and the dump.

Ahhh, I feel like I lost 20 pounds.

When Sam came home after his first week at school a while back, he said, "Wow, my room looks the same."

"What did you think your room would look like?"  I asked.


Turkey!  He came home this morning with his laundry and was a bit despaired.  He said, "Mom, you gotta help me with the smell in my apartment!  I can't stand it anymore! Do we have any Ozium?"

He went on to explain that there is no garbage disposal in the kitchen sink but food gets crammed down there anyways.  He said he keeps putting the little metal drains in that are meant to catch bits of food but his roommates take them out.  He's about fed up.  And while he was on his rant about boys and their leve…

A Witness

I was expecting just another run of the mill night at the gym last night.  The kind where the 'meat heads' stay at their end of the gym grunting and groaning to sound strong and I would claim a little corner in the room where the Yogi's hang out and Plank, and there I would Spin on a bike for a few miles, do some rowing, a little TRX and finish up with some free weights.

Last night though, I actually decided to do an easier workout and took an inclined walk on the treadmill.  There were no meat heads in far end of the gym.  No one really at the gym at all.  For the longest time, I kept pace with an old guy on a bike behind me.

But then, a man and his son came in.  I knew them.  I knew them well but they don't know just how well I know them.  They have a son who passed away from Cystic Fibrosis a little while ago, he would have been Spencer's age now.  They have a younger son who also has CF.  I knew his wife and mother in law back when my kids were being diagnosed.…