Saturday, July 1, 2017

Post Trauma

This week is definitely one for the books and one I hope to never repeat.  You would think that after 12 years of being divorced, there would be little left to argue about and spend energy being contentious but it seems that is not the case.  We have a history of ups and downs and currently, we are in a downward turn and honestly, I don't see that we will ever enjoy the 'ups' again.  So, it's been sad and the most emotional taxing week!

The kids were suppose to be in Utah for a huge Independence Day Celebration with their dad and new step family.  It was to consist of Seven Peaks, Fireworks, and a Hunter Hayes concert.  All that changed so they were home and not too happy about the circumstances.

I had three broken and depressed kids on my hands so I knew I had to come up with something to soften the edges of this week.

Up in the Teton Valley is a hot air balloon festival every July 1st.  You don't see hot air balloons very often in our part of the world.  Back home in Canada, at least when I was growing up, it seemed you always saw balloons in the sky.  Today is Canada Day, so we decided to head up to the Valley.

We got up well before the sun and made it to the Festival before 6:00 am.  We were there even before most of the balloon operators were!  It was amazing because we got to watch the sun rise over the Teton Mountain Range.

Here are some pictures from this morning...More than you really want to see,  I'm sure! None of these have been edited!  The sky was the most beautiful shade of blue, the air was a crisp 46 degrees and sun was so bright.  It was the perfect way to end this gloomy, sad week.


We got to stand inside one of the balloons!  Pretty cool!


Shelbie and Sam 



Sam, Shelbie and Spencer.  Spencer was in heaven with his camera.  He is really becoming a skilled photographer.  It's fun to see how he and Shelbie excel in different ways with photography. 

Those smoky shadows inside the balloon was actually the flame!

I think this would be a fun new tradition!  It was well worth getting up at 4 am for.  
The trials and trauma the kids sustained this week did have a silver lining...we felt closer than ever!  Everyone was happy today and even laughing and making jokes.  I have watched them really pull together and that is a good thing.

After the festival was over, we drove a little farther down the road to find a hole in the wall for breakfast.  We enjoyed breakfast in a little quaint place.  It was so relaxing.  On our way home, we stopped in another small town to check on a project I've been working on and then we got home around 11:00 this morning.

I have only been getting about 3 hours of sleep every night this week so I was exhausted.  I asked the kids if I could take a little nap before the rest of our activities.  My little 20 min. nap turned into a couple of hours.  The boys actually ended up going back to the Tetons for a hike with friends.  Shelbie and I did a little shopping for her California trip on Monday and then had the worst mini manicures ever!!! But, we got a good laugh out of it.  We came home and redid our nails and then I took yet another nap until it was dinner.

I am really not feeling well.  I can't believe what this week did to me.  So, it's going to be an early night for me!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment