Monday, July 3, 2017

Independence

Happy Independence Day!  I'm not big into this holiday.  It might have something to do with the fact that I am Canadian...as I write this, my neighbors behind me are going crazy with their stupid fireworks, the neighbors beside me are at it and it's loud and stinky.  Anyways, I feel like I'm getting shot every 30 seconds!  Ha ha...

Shelbie made it to California safely so that is a relief.  We had a really great Sunday, just peaceful.

Spencer went over to his friend's apartment after a nice dinner together so Sam and I went long boarding!!   It's been over a month since I got out on the long board so it was great fun!  The park around here is packed on Sunday nights and it's actually really funny to see people point and stare at me.  I find it rather amusing actually.  But poor Sam!  All his friends were there, that kid knows so many people!  We would pass them and they would say, "Hey Sam!  Hey Sam's mom!" and throw me the peace sign!  I apologized to Sam for being an embarrassment to him but he said it actually made him cooler!  So, my work here is done!!  I made my kid cool!  For over two hours, we skated around town, ya know, just being cool!

Back to the point of this blog post.  A friend was talking about his recent trip to Washington DC and spoke about the spirit he felt there and how interesting it was how much prayer was involved in the establishment of this country.  That in seeking independence, they first sought God.

I've been thinking about that.  This has been a year of independence for us I think.  The kids are all at the age where they are craving some independence. They are coming to terms with what they believe, how they want their life to look, what opinions matter and which ones don't or shouldn't.  If you think about it, aren't we all, on a path of continual change and independence from one thing or another?

I need to be independent from some damaging thoughts.  Independent from allowing judgments of others to hamper me or weigh on my decisions.  Independent from the past.  Independent from thoughts of what ifs and should haves.

Independence is such a deep thought for me.  It means so much more than we think.  I love to consider independence, in terms of this Country's Founding Fathers, and how they invested heavily in prayer to guide them to freedom from all that depressed them, and kept them small.  When I think of where we have come, I wonder if we've really come that far in our freedom?  It seems we are more repressed than ever.  How did that happen?

Tomorrow, we will celebrate Freedom and Independence even though, I think we have a long way to go.  Personally, it will be a day that reminds me, that as I continue my own journey of self evident truths toward independence,  I hope I can have that same spirit of knowing I have been endowed by my Creator.  I hope I can instill in my kids as they find their way to independence that they too, were created and endowed with purpose and meaning.

So, happy 4th.


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Kath. And, you make everyone cooler.

    ReplyDelete