Thursday, May 25, 2017

Another Gas Leak

We got everything taken apart and put back together again by last night. It was tricky I guess, because it took three men to do the job.  I think the tricky part was getting the slope right in the main duct that joins the water heater to the furnace.

They assured me that everything was fine and I didn't have to call the city for an inspection.  They turned the gas back on to my house and I hesitantly decided that we would stay home last night.

This morning had to catch up on laundry, dishes and getting the house back in order.  We had a horrendous wind storm here yesterday my house was full of dirt because the workers had left my front door open because the door handle broke!  (Insert eye rolling here)

This afternoon, I thought I could smell gas again but that seemed impossible since they went through everything last night.  It wasn't long before the smell was filling the main floor, not just the basement so I called the company back that did the work yesterday.

Sure enough, another leak!  There was a leak from the gas line to the burner of the water heater.  I swear someone is trying to kill me!  How does this just happen?  I don't get it.  I don't understand how a water heater that has been installed for 12 years, been repaired three times, suddenly has three gas leaks.  It makes no sense to my simple mind.

If I wasn't crazy before...It's maddening really.  I'm feeling a little paranoid tonight and worry about sleeping here.  We have brand new carbon monoxide detectors and those haven't been registering.  The guy from the heating company said, "Well your levels of CO are only 1200 parts per million so that's good."

1200?  Shouldn't you have 0 PPM?  I want 0 PPM!!

I have this irrational side to me that wants to go out and buy a brand new water heater and start over.  Maybe that one is just too old and parts are getting corroded and leaks are common when they are so old...but water heaters are expensive.

I don't know what to do but I am extremely bothered by it all.


Photobucket

1 comment: