Sunday, May 14, 2017

19 Years and Counting

Today is Sam's birthday!  19 years old!

19th Birthday
Last night, we went to his favorite restaurant Buffalo Wild Wings for a little birthday dinner and then came home to open his presents and have all his cousins over for S'mores and games.


I love these kids.  They are technically not my niece and nephew, they are my Wasband's but they still call me Aunt Kath and they come over a lot.  I love that they are all here in town going to school and that they get together often to hang out. I'm glad I didn't have to divorce them too!  I love them and I love their parents!  There's always a lot of laughter and fun when they come over.  So, Sam had a fun night in pre-birthday celebrations.

Sam has had a really tough week!  His heart is struggling and the doctor is concerned that he may need a pacemaker.  His heart rate is lower than ever and at our appointments this week in Utah, the doctor couldn't get a steady beat, lots of extra beats going on.  His blood work is also not looking good in terms of immune issues and the doctor is fairly certain that Sam will be starting Plasma transfusions soon.  He is running a few more tests but the preliminary results are not favorable.  If the insurance company didn't need more tests to justify the treatment, he would have started this week.

  In the mean time, while we wait for everything to roll in, he is starting some daily antibiotics but...there is only one that they dare try with his heart and liver situation but the problem is Sam has a history of allergic reactions to this one med.  So...I have to get him to the Allergist this week and retest him for Sulfa to see if he's outgrown the allergy so we can start it.  Sam continues to struggle with viruses and bacterial infections and his white count is so low! As much as it kills me to see him get to this point, I know it will improve his quality of life.

We also have to get back to the Cardiologist since his heart has suffered a decline in the past year.

So, needless to say, I'm glad I have these kids around to help me buoy him up.  He's a little depressed this week.

But!! What a trooper!  I love him so much.  He has handled school like a champ.  It hasn't been easy but he has pulled through.  He started his new job this week as they prepare for opening day at the trampoline park.

What I love about Sam is his ability to work with his deficiencies and find a way around them.  He reminds me of a mountain stream.  He is gentle and carries a feeling of calm and peace with him, yet he's mighty to forge new paths when something gets in his way.  He always sees a way to get around any obstacle.  I suppose that's why he's so good at Parkour!

I love the way he pretends to be annoyed by me but he's a softie at heart.  I love his sense of humor and I love that he lets me tag along with him when he goes long boarding! He is thoughtful and caring and listens well to help others...especially the girls!  They all rely on Sam for advice with parents, boyfriends, friends, jobs...Sam is always the one they turn to because he makes everyone feel important and special.

I am so proud of Sam.  I'm proud that he continues to be worthy of missionary service even though that probably isn't officially going to be an available option for him because of these health issues.  I know that he worries about what people think of him but I don't care.  I know his heart and it is golden!!

Here's to many more amazing years to watch this young man continue to Become.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment