Tuesday, April 18, 2017

When Opportunity Knocks

Last week, out of the blue, the Architect Firm I use to work for 8 years ago called and asked me to come in for a meeting.  I didn't think much about it.  They have called me to collaborate on projects from time to time before.

This time though, they asked me to come back!  Full time.

Never in a million years, did I expect this to happen.  I would do some design, managing the specification and submittal process, payroll and other office duties.  I enjoyed my time there before the economy tanked.  I spent the weekend thinking about the offer.

In some ways, it would have simplified my life tremendously.   I would go from 6 part time jobs to one full time job.  I have forgotten what it was like to go to work at 8 and come home at 5 and that was that.

It was nice to dream but that's all it could ever be.   When I talked to them, I had forgotten, for just a minute that my life is different now.  Even though it seems like nothing has changed in 8 years, the reality is, everything has changed.

It was hard to shut the door on the possibilities of working one job for someone else, especially an architectural firm!

So, I will keep working myself senseless.  I am adding Nursing to my job description as I let our home health nurse go today.  It's too expensive and this week, we start our increased dose of plasma which means it's going to take over 7 hours to infuse.

I'm not sure what was harder, having to make the call this morning to thank them for the offer or facing the reality of my situation in trying to provide for my family in the exhausted state I find myself in.

Either way, sometimes opportunities can be nothing more than a teasing from the world beyond where I live.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment