Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Peace for Sale

My home teachers came by on Sunday night and the question was posed, "If peace were on the auction block, what would it sell for?"

Hmmm...that's an interesting thought.  What if Peace and the other virtues like Faith and Hope were all up for auction, joined by Happiness.  Which one would claim the highest bid?  If you could, which of these would YOU buy?  Would Peace be the first thing on your mind?

I have thought about this a lot.  If I was out shopping the Virtues, I would probably choose Happiness, at least as an impulse purchase.  Don't we all just want to be happy?  Don't we all compete to some degree to show we are the happiest?  I rarely hear people say anything but "I just want to be happy."  Or we say to people, "I sure wish you were happy."  "I would give anything to see you happy."

Never have I heard, "I just want you to have Faith."  Maybe it's been said...Actually, I may have said this to one of my kids but really, it's almost always about happiness.

Hope?  Well, of course that word gets tossed around like confetti..."I hope we get those tickets before they sell out."  "I hope it doesn't snow today." Hope is an easy illusion to create if we aren't careful.  To me, Hope is the twin virtues.  Hope can be flimsy, the kind we think nothing of.  Hope in Christ is something altogether different and that, has some substance to it!  So take care to differentiate the Hope you are out shopping for.  

And then there is peace.  If you think about it, peace would be a nice possession wouldn't it?  Not just to try on every so often to make sure it still fits, but to have it on like a cloak of security, keeping us safe from all the other negative emotions that rally for our support.   Peace is understated and underestimated.  In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think Peace is worth top dollars these days.  It's so easily tattered just by opening the daily news.  It can hang by a thread at the first sign of trouble and anxiety and when we think it's long gone, we give away its room with store bought happiness and with that, pretend that the fulcrum on which our life balances, stands steady once again.

Peace.  I wonder how much Peace would sell for?  What is it worth to you?  Perhaps, in the purchasing of Peace, a little quiet might be thrown in the bag as a December special.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment