Tuesday, August 30, 2016

A 14 year reunion

The stars aligned just so and it was no coincidence that I ran into my cousin while we were at Huntsman's.  I didn't know they were inpatient until the night before our appointments so I messaged them on FB that I would stop by and see them. In fact, I didn't know they were there at all!

We haven't been in touch with each other in 14 years.  The last time I saw them, they had come to babysit my kids while my husband and I went on a trip.   Before that, we were roommates, our first year at college.  We have failed miserably at keeping track of each other.  It's sort of a typical thing for my family.

It was very late in the day when we finally got to see them.  Her husband was diagnosed with Leukemia last year and  things recently progressed so fast, he needed more aggressive treatment this year.  Tuesday of last week, he had a stem cell transplant with his sister as the donor.  It was great to see them.  He seems to be doing as well as could be expected.

As soon as I saw her, she came running towards me and gave me a 14 year hug!  She had said she hadn't planned to be there but the day before, she had strong impression that she needed to drive 3 hours to be with her husband at the hospital.  They still have some younger kids at home who started school last week and a daughter preparing to leave on her mission in 6 weeks so she has not been able to be with him at the hospital everyday.  They live in Southern Utah.

I tried not to dwell on or even mention our own ordeal.  I was glad that I could be there for hers.  She is gearing up to teach Preschool out of her home in order to help cover medical bills and missed work while her husband gets better.  I can't imagine how hard it would be to fight cancer, start a career, raise your family and get a child on a mission.  That's a full plate!

For some reason, it was important that our paths crossed last Wednesday.





Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Wouldn't it be amazing if they could treat short telomeres with stem cells!

    ReplyDelete