Saturday, May 28, 2016

This chapter ends

Graduation has come and gone.  It was an emotional night for me...It was happy and surprising and touching and thought provoking and amazing.  From the moment the graduated walked in to the auditorium, I had a lump in my throat.

The speakers were great but I was really impressed with the Valedictorian.  I think he gave a talk that everyone in the room could relate to and I appreciated his words a great deal.  Without a doubt, this was a highly intelligent graduating class.  Three of the 308 graduates were graduating with an Associates Degree as well.  A huge percentage were graduating with honors and highest honors, in fact, I think every single one of the Sam's friends were in the honorable society which was awesome to see.

As we were making our way through the throngs of people to find Sam afterwards, I ran into one of his Special Ed Teachers, Mrs. W.  She told me that she had just had a 'moment' with Sam and she had told him how proud she was of him.  In response, Sam said that he knew no one thought he would make it this far- either physically or scholastically and he too was surprised and knew the importance of this day. She said that his eyes were teary as he said that.

It surprised me a bit to hear that.  I never really know how much the kids let themselves feel and Sam is never very free with this feelings or emotions.  It is not lost on me, how much I have been blessed to have these kids for as long as I have.

My Wasband and I volunteered to help chaperon the all night Senior party.  Sam was less than excited to find that out, but it was funny tormenting him a little, teasing him that I was going to find him every hour and give him a big kiss right in front of his friends!  We actually didn't see him at all last night or all day today.  The PTO really did an outstanding job providing a fun and safe atmosphere for the kids with unlimited first rate movies, bowling, mini golf, Balladium, karaoke...Hats off to all the parents who helped make it a great night.

Me and Sam

Across the stage we go.

One relieved and excited boy!

Kamry and Sam

Some of his friends- he had the very best group of friends.

These boys are the salt of the earth! 

Chloe and Sam spent many a days when they were babies and toddlers playing together and they have remained good friends! 

My favorite girl!  Kelsie!

'The Squad'  I am going to miss these boys horribly as they all leave soon on their missions!  

It was a really good evening.  I was a happy mom and really proud.  What's next?

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment