Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Some cultures are back...

Well so far, it is confirmed that Spencer has a rare strain of Clostridium Difficile Colitis.  It is rare because it isn't associated with over use of antibiotics.   We haven't been exposed to C-diff in 4 years.  He hasn't taken antibiotics in well over a year.  It just showed up!  Did I mention this is highly contagious?  Ya...it is.

Infectious Disease control wants him to come in to the hospital tomorrow and start therapy.

This type of C-diff has been seen with Salmonella but so far, no growth on E. Coli, Salmonella, Shigella or any of the other bacteria they have been worried about.  As our luck goes...It is probably just a freak thing without an explanation but time will tell.

I am dumbfounded.  I can't even believe it.  The medication to treat this is in the ballpark of $1500-$1800  for a 20 day supply but that was over 4 years ago.  Last time we needed this, our insurance denied it and it took 4 months for the toxins to actually die.  4 months of this!  I'm anxious to see what happens with our new Obamacare insurance.  I'm not holding my breath but I continue to believe in a God of miracles...so you never know.  Between God's power and Obama's...Obama may think he's God but he is a Gnat!  A puny, wretched man!

Given the fact that Spencer has now stopped eating, I am going to see if we can start IV therapy and possibly TPN vein feedings.   Our oncologist thinks that maybe IVIG would be a good option, I think even Neupogen therapy to increase his white blood cells...the lousy, no good, lazy, 6000 fighters sitting there asleep on the job, just taking up space in his roomy, mostly empty marrow! The neupogen is just my idea though...

So, as always, I'm trying to line this in silver...turn a frowny situation upside down.  The best I can do is be grateful that Spencer is an entire State away so that my other two medically fragile people will not be at risk.  Especially Sam!  If Sam gets C-diff again...he is done for!

I will head back down to the great State of Utah and go with him to the hospital tomorrow then wipe down every single surface in his apartment/house with bleach because the toxins can only be killed with bleach.  All of Spencer's towels will have to be quarantined from his roommates and bleached on a regular basis.  His sheets will have to be bleached regularly as well.  He will have to bleach the inside of the washer when he is through washing his clothes and wash everything in hot water. Every door handle, faucet...anything he touches will need to be swiped with a bleach wipe. You get the picture.

It's as close to insanity as one can get!  For now, our favorite scent is chlorine and our favorite color is white!  Just in case you were wondering!

Continued prayers would be appreciated.  It is a very precarious situation we find ourselves in.  A little exhausting too but I shouldn't complain because Spencer is trying so hard to not complain so I don't really have a right either. He is the one starving, in extreme pain and not sleeping so...Answers are coming and that is a super great blessing!


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Not a fun post to read. I'm so sorry. I hope things can get taken care of quickly for him so he can feel a little better. Lots of prayer are sent your way!

    ReplyDelete