Saturday, November 14, 2015

Plans for a Saturday

Today has been a pretty good day in terms of...everything I guess.

I was able to make it to the temple for my shift this morning.  It was a beautiful November day here and the sky was the deepest blue with just a dusting of powdery clouds.  I had to stop and take a picture...no filters on this!


It was a welcomed change of pace to sit on the organ bench for an hour and play quiet, peaceful hymns.  At one point, it was almost too meditative for this tired girl!  When I'm in the temple, there doesn't seem to be a care in the world.

I've been using my year's worth of studying about gut health to try to get Spencer some relief.  I know that if we can increase his alkalinity and stomach acid, we can restore some good healthy flora to aid his faulty immune system.  Lucky for me, I discovered that Spencer has this love for Mint Limeade from Cafe Rio.  It's the perfect drink for him.  The limes, though they seem acidic, actually increase the alkalinity in your gut once they get there.  The mint is soothing as well.  I found a copycat recipe and then changed it a little so there wasn't as much sugar.  I substituted Stevia because it is an alkaline sugar substitute.   Truth be told...he doesn't love my version as well but he will drink it.  I have also been able to get him to drink some baking soda water...another little trick up my sleeve.  I drink it everyday and it's not bad.  It has saved me from having to take horrible medicine for my Lupus.



This afternoon,  I decided to take Spencer out on a field trip and see how he managed.  He is trying to decide if he should try to head back to Utah and try to salvage what is left of the semester.  I don't think he will be able to get back to work, but school may be doable.  

Anyways, he loves skiing so we went to the Ski Shop in Idaho Falls while Shelbie did a photo shoot down by the river.  He did okay and was happy to be in his element after being in bed for a solid week and a half.  Then, we ran over to the mall to find some clothes that might fit him.  He has lost a grand total of 30 lbs since his mission.  He is so skinny.  His Sunday shirts and suit just hang on him like he is playing dress up with his Dad's clothes.   His t shirts and jeans hang, with hardly an outline of his body showing.   About 30 minutes into that and he was done.  His head was pounding and things were spinning...not to mention the pain.   

It was a good effort and good to get out of the house for some fresh air.  I was pretty nervous to have him out.  I wished he would wear a mask to protect him from anymore germs but that wasn't going to happen.  The only other precaution we took was not letting him touch anything.  

He was in good spirits today.  He rarely complains about all the discomfort he is feeling.  Monday we should get cultures back to see if the Salmonella is still hanging around.  If it is gone, then that will leave us in an interesting bind...facing the reality that what he is feeling now is permanent damage from the bacteria and I'm not sure where we go from here to find good health again.  We are headed into week four of this little dramatic twist in our lives!  

It's going to be a big week.  Hospital visits for two of us, Hematology for Spencer and maybe back to school...oh and work.  I almost forgot I have a job or two or three!  Ahhhh...












Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment