Monday, October 19, 2015

The Maze

Tonight, for Family Home Evening, we went to a straw maze.  I have never been to one before so it was an adventure for sure and it was a pretty popular place to be as I'm sure every one in town had the same idea.

It was harder than I thought it would be.  I found it interesting as we followed each other along in the dark how many people I heard complaining about their experience.

Phrases like:
"This is dumb."
"I'm so tired of getting nowhere!"
"Can we just get out of here yet?"
"I hate being lost."
"Could this be any harder."
"This is my third time back, I know what I'm doing, follow me."

I just followed along, chuckling to myself.  It's a maze!  People knew they were buying tickets for a maze.  I don't think I saw one person who was dragged there against their will and forced to play along.  If you don't like the idea of running around, in the cold night air, feeling lost and tired, then why even come to such an activity?

Then I thought about how this could be a parable for life.  How often have I heard my inside voice say, "This is dumb...I'm so tired of getting nowhere...Can we just be done already...I hate feeling lost...Could this be any harder...Okay, I've done this before, I know what I'm doing...(Only to be lost and confused again...)

It never occurred to me before tonight, that maybe the day would be more enjoyable if I just followed the path and tried to enjoy the adventure.  I signed up for this, paid in full, jumped in line, raised my hand...whatever we did up there.  I knew it was going to be hard and I would get lost and tired and feel dumb...but here we are!   On an adventure like nothing I have ever experienced before!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment