Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Happy Birthday Spencer!

Today is the big 21 for Spencer!  21 years has flown by!


          Spencer 2 months old                                            Spencer and I July 29, 2015
Colorado




Grand Teton National Park


One of my favorite pictures of Spencer and I.  He was 9 years old in this picture. 


So, funny story...quite some time ago, I think Spencer was probably about 8 or 9 years old, someone had convinced me to take the kids to this alternative health 'doctor'.  Back then, when we were still in the early stages of disease, people offered up all sorts of ideas that would cure my kids and we bought into most of them.

We drank the rare berry juice, took the nasty herbs mixed with dirt and let them sit under our tongue, ( just kidding, it only tasted like dirt)  We slept on magnets, wore magnets, lived and breathed magnets.  We soaked in oils, drank oils,  We did it all.  This particular one though...was the most extreme.

To this day, I don't know really know what she was trying to accomplish but she had this long, crystal wand.  She would have the kids strapped into this chair and then wave the wand in their faces and tell them to think of negative things.  Then she would get all crazy waving the wand around, pulling the negativity from them. The kids called her 'The Wand Lady'.   I called her crazy.

After each session, we went home and the kids would be violently sick- vomiting, fever, diarrhea.  It happened after every time!  On one particular visit, I told her that I didn't think we would be continuing since I saw no improvement and in fact had to deal with extreme sickness, even dehydration.  She said, "Well, that's because it's working to get the disease from them.  Your son is traumatized over his birth experience.  That's what's wrong with him."

Yep...right then I figured she was nuts!  We didn't even say goodbye...I scooped up my kids and we left!

She was right about something...it was a traumatic birth but more for me!  That kid didn't want to come out and then at the last minute came all at once!  The doctor literally ran through the doors and caught him before scrubbing up or anything.

He's added a dimension of surprise for the past 21 years; starting with that red hair of his!

He has accomplished things I had no idea he was capable of.  I have always compared Spencer to mountains.  He loves climbing mountains, skiing off mountains, flipping off mountains...but most of all Spencer moves mountains.  He has a tenacity and determination that is pretty impressive.  Serving a mission for 2 years, more often than not, he was sick, as I have come to find out, but only missed about 3 or 4 days of work in two years.  He just pushes through.

When he decides what he wants to do, he doesn't give up finding a way to make it happen.  I love that about him.   I love that I have adult children.  I love that we learn and grow from each other more as equals than as parent and child.

So...it's been a surprisingly, great 21 years!  Here's to another 21 years or more of pure joy, happiness and surprises around each bend.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment