Saturday, August 22, 2015

Fidgeting and Fretting

Today has been pretty monumental.

First, the back story.

I have mentioned here a time or two how stuck we have been in getting medical care.  I see all the other DC families with lung, heart and bone marrow problems being proactive and getting all sorts of care and treatment and then we sit here, just twiddling our thumbs hoping that it will all just disappear.

Losing our Hematologist in Seattle seemed to precipitate many other changes.  We have outgrown all of our doctors simply because the kids got older.  Not only that, we haven't been happy with a couple of our doctors.  With the DC diagnosis, they seem out of their league.

With Spencer coming home, we need to get all the DC genetics done and get the same baseline tests that Sam and Shelbie had but now we don't have decent doctors.  I've been praying to find some direction; to figure out where to take them for medical care.

We had options but certainly didn't feel like any of the options were a good fit.

For the very first time, I didn't fret about this or fidget and try to force a plan.  I simply just prayed until something happened.  I don't know what I was expecting...I guess that's just it, I had no expectations.  I couldn't see how this situation could be resolved so I just tried to remain open and hopeful that the way would be made clear when the time was right.

Today, I had to make a trip to Wyoming to work on a hospital project I've been working on the past year.  As we walked through the surgical suites under construction, the CEO asked me how my kids were doing.  I briefly explained that we were assembling a new team of adult medicine docs and it was a huge and hard undertaking.  Out of the blue, he started talking about a cardiologist that works two days a month at the hospital.  I thought absolutely nothing of that.

When our meeting was over, he offered to walk me out to the front doors.  As we left his office, he said, "If you have a minute, I can introduce you to the cardiologist's nurse.  Maybe she could help you in some way."

As we turned the corner from his office, a lady was right there in a hall.  She was coming to see the CEO.  It was the nurse coordinator for the cardiologist he was telling me about!  We were introduced and I followed her back to her office.

We visited for a few minutes and I gave her some background on my kids.  We even set up an appointment to see the cardiologist.  Soon, a man came out of the office.  It was the cardiologist!

He began asking questions about the kids and a history of what we have gone through.  We must have spent 45 minutes talking and laughing!  He was an awesome doctor!! I loved his personality, and sense of humor.

Half way through our visit, he did mention he had a partner who specialized in AV Malformations of the heart and lungs.  His practice is almost exclusively congenital heart defects and AVM's.   He is young and on fire when it comes to researching AVM's.   This cardiologist suggested we see his partner instead of him.  He felt it would be a better fit, plus, he is set to retire soon.

We finished our conversation with instructions from this doctor on what we needed to do next.  He said that 90% of the time, in AVM's of the lungs and heart, the liver has AMV's as well.  He said that liver screenings would need to take place, before we see the new cardiologist.

Having met with the nurse coordinator as well, we already that much ahead in the scheduling procedure and she knows all about our situation already.

It was so clear, as we stood there talking that this had been completely and totally orchestrated by God.  It was the most amazing feeling to see things work out so simple and easily, without any fretting and worry on my part!

Part 2 coming soon...


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment