Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Sam in Summer

Sam.  What a little busy body he is this summer.  He is by far my most social kid and it's a little weird.  I'm not usually the type of mom who has an organized, planned,  summer schedule.  I did when they were little and I was home being a mom but when I got divorced, that sort of changed.

It's been tough to get him to find some balance between friends and family so we are working through some things.  Little by little, I add some new rules to the summer.  At first he pushes back a bit but then comes around and it's not too painful!

So, we have some growing pains this summer.

Sam is a great kid so I shouldn't be complaining.  It's kind of funny, there's only one bit of mischief he has been into already.

Bridge Jumping!  I hate bridge jumping.  I have forbid my kids to ever go bridge jumping!  Of course, Shelbie never did, Spencer sneaked around a couple of summers to do it and now Sam!

At least he fessed up sooner than Spencer ever did.  When asked why he didn't tell me he was doing that, his classic teen response, "Well you didn't ask if I was doing that."

Oh smooth...turn the situation around to blame the mom!  What is it with teenagers?  Do they offer a class at school called- Pulling the Wool where they teach them to never take responsibility?  Sounds like something offered in the Common Core stuff.

Anyways, he didn't get far with that theory and we had a lovely talk about responsibility.  Character.  Integrity.  Respect.  And...Worst Case Scenarios.  It was such a fascinating debate, and I won!  I'm pretty sure he won't suggest we play, 'Guess What I'm Doing' again!  LOL.

I think I sufficiently convinced him that I am about the coolest mom out there!  Just kidding.  I have a long ways to go.  We did however, come to a compromise on the bridge jumping activity.  If he wants to do it, he's going to have to jump through a few hoops first but it will be a win win.

On a side note, Sam's picture showed up on the iJump website.  He doesn't know where the picture came from but it's a cool one.  He was pretty excited about that.


This boy's a keeper!  He is having a great summer with lots of adventure and sucking the life out of every day.  I guess I can't complain about that.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment