Tuesday, July 21, 2015

A little hiccup

We had a little hiccup today in our run of doctor free days.

Sam has had an inflammation in his eye for weeks.  I have been keeping an 'eye' on it.  It can be completely red as blood, the entire white of his eye and after a couple of days, it's cleared up so I think it's better but it comes back again just as angry.  There is no discharge or anything so I haven't worried about pink eye.

The last couple of days, it's been doing better but then tonight, I noticed a little pool of blood in the corner.  I have a crammed week with hospital visits the rest of the week so I told him to hurry to the car and we would run down to the after hours clinic.  We got there just before they closed.

Turns out he likely has Scleritis, an inflammatory disease of the sclera of the eye.  Dyskeratosis Congenita can wreak havoc on the eyes.  We will start an eye drop and hopefully, it clears up.   It's the same eye he loses his vision in and he has a cyst on that eye as well.

I'm sure it will be fine and really, that isn't the story here.

Sam is not handling these little things that come up very well.  I can appreciate what he is feeling but he goes straight to the worst case.  I tried to reassure him that it is just an inflammatory process that can be fixed.  Instead of just saying he is scared to go to the doctor in case they find something bad, he has to act like a bear!  He gets so mean!  I hate it. I hate the contention.

I'm not really sure how to help him navigate this better.  It's easy to make the mistake that they are taking life in stride when the day seems to go off without a hitch; when day after day is relatively calm. The reality, it's all falling apart on the inside, the part he doesn't let anyone see.

I have tried to reason with him and talk about this when things are good but it seems he needs to be reassured way more than I am doing.

Poor kid.  I feel sorry for him.  Because of this inflammation in his eye we have to see our Ophthalmologist just to make sure the Neva and cyst they are watching aren't getting worse.  I'm pretty confident it is nothing but better safe than sorry.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment