Sunday, April 19, 2015

I'm Back

Well, after a couple of weeks of not blogging, I'm back.

It's been a busy time and I have taken a step back from my life, in part from being busy but some deep thinking is to blame as well.

I was gone for a few days to my parent's house to be there for my dad's surgery to remove some aggressive cancer.  I had 16 hours of driving there and back to do some thinking.  The kids didn't come with me so it was just me and my busy mind.   Well, until I got pulled over by a State Trooper.

Yep...that was not fun!  He had been sitting in the median and I saw him from quite a distance off but since I was going just under the speed limit, I wasn't bothered by the sight of him.  As soon as I passed, he peeled out of the place where he was and rode my bumper for at least 10 miles before putting on his lights.  I was getting really frustrated that he was so close so I slowed down by about 5 mph in hopes that he would pass me.  Instead, he turned on his lights.

I pulled right over and immediately had an uneasy feeling.  I hadn't even really seen his face and I knew something was amiss.  He approached my car from the passenger side with his hands on his gun.  I rolled the window down 3 inches if that.   He asked me if I knew why he had pulled me over.  Of course I had no idea.  He said that I didn't have a front license plate and though it is legal in the State I was in, he happened to know it wasn't legal in the State I was from.

I wasn't sure what he wanted me to say to that so I said, "Okay.  So..."
"So, I'm going to do you a favor and give you a ticket for it."
"Okay."  I knew it wasn't right for him to give me a ticket for something that wasn't even illegal in the State I was traveling through but I just wanted to get out of there.  I had such an uneasy feeling about this guy.  He kept asking me to roll down my window and I kept saying that I would rather not and I could hear him just fine and pass him the appropriate paperwork.  Then, he asked me to get out of the car and I asked him if I had to and for what reason.  His reason was that he couldn't hear me.  I told him I would talk louder.

I'm not sure why I was acting like this.  I'm typically a compliant person but that little voice in my head kept telling me to stay in my locked car.  I wasn't sassy, just matter of fact.  It actually felt good to stand my ground.  I knew I hadn't done anything wrong, well, I didn't have my proof of insurance but he could tell somehow from the background check that I was insured.

When he came back from his car to hand me the ticket, I again only rolled my window down 3 inches.  Then he said, "Are you okay?  Something doesn't seem right with you."
"I'm fine."
"Do you always talk so quietly?"
"I'm using my normal voice."

He wouldn't let me go without this line of questioning that continued. It was the strangest stop ever and the ticket was for $300!  What a joke.  After I was home a couple of days, I called the court clerk and explained how unfair it was and after some more questioning, it was dismissed.

Here are some pictures I took from the last week or so.
My parent's backyard...so pretty! 

Getting checked in to the hospital the morning of surgery.

Selfies in the waiting room

Selfies with my sister

Shelbie was in having some overnight tests in another town a couple of days ago and this was my bed for the night.  Needless to say...no sleep! 


The hospital and doctor visits have continued this week.   We are getting close to a final diagnosis on Shelbie and her lung issues.  Tomorrow, we are meeting with the pulmonologist to see if there is anything he can do to remove the lesions in Sam's lungs.  If there aren't too many there may be a chance they can operate.  We will just have to see.

In the meantime, I have a lot to figure out in my life.  I have a phone call to make to the IRS and figure out how I'm going to pay last year's tax bill of $8000 and still put away $800 a month for quarterly taxes.  I am also going to be getting more serious about changing my job, selling my house and de-cluttering some other things and people in my life.  

Amazing what a little change in the scenery can do to a person.



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment