Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Family History

I have only slept for about 6 hours since Monday.  I'm kind of tired but I've also got this weird energy going on and I've been cleaning out my filing cabinets.  I figure, when I die, no one is going to want to sort out stuff that is decades old.

While I was sorting, I came across my folder when I was all over family history!  In that file were interviews I gave my grandmas.  Both grandmas.  I wanted to record the questions I asked and their answers here so I have them forever! ;)

My Grandma F...she is still alive!  Close to 100 years old and this interview was done nearly 10 years ago.  Never in a million years would I have thought my grandma would have lived this long but she is not yet done her purpose here on earth.

What did you imagine your adult life would be like?

  • "I always wanted to be a beauty parlor lady.  I never pictured myself as anything else.  I always knew I would do that.   I also knew I would be involved in music."  My grandma did both of those things!  Oh, how I wish I had inherited one ounce of her passion.  It's a gift I believe, to know what you want to do and then do it. 
What is your favorite tradition? 
  • "My favorite tradition was dancing and singing with your dad as a bedtime ritual.  I felt like a real mother when I did that.  I also loved teaching your dad about the gospel and how to pray."
What was the greatest accomplishment you have made as a mother?
  • "Everything.  Everything I did was something my mother did for me."
What advice would you give your posterity?
  • "Work hard.  Be obedient. Be honest. Do what the Lord wants you to do, not what you want to do for yourself. Stay with the church.  There is nothing out in the world but evil and that will not help you." 
What did you love most about Grandpa?
  • "He was a very, very kind man and never got mad.  He taught me many good lessons about the plan the Lord had for us."
What was your most unhappy time?
  • "I am sad that I had to work so much to help provide for the family but work also helped me find myself after my son died.  The death of my son Ronnie has been my life long sorrow."
What was your happiest moment?
  • "My happiest time was when your dad was born.  He was such a pretty baby with the finest features.  I miss my life with Duane.  When I look back, I can see that Grandpa was a real friend to your dad and I took a back seat to them.  I loved to clean, more than I loved to cook.  Finally, later in life, it was such a joy to serve a mission with Grandpa."
Tell me some things about Grandpa I probably don't know.
  • "Grandpa's father was never active in the church, he grew up where there wasn't a church.   Grandpa set an example for his family.  He was always the first to be ready for church and the first to see that they went to church."
I didn't realize at the time, that this would be so important to me.  My grandma is not in good health and I'm sure she won't be alive much longer.  As I typed this, I could hear her voice and see her smile and the way she would tilt her head when she spoke of happy things or spiritual things. Her heart was always full of good things and it showed in her entire body language.  Boy, I will miss her when she is gone. 




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment