Tuesday, February 10, 2015

29 Gifts Day 23-29

Well, yesterday marked the last day of my 29 gifts project!  It has been another remarkable month and I am so glad I took it on again this year.  I guess you could say this is going to be an annual tradition.

I have found that as I prayerfully approached each day and what I would give, I was presented with far more ways to serve than just one.  I only recorded one but it was astounding to me how many needs I became aware of, like I could see them with my spiritual eyes and made time to accomplish each one of the needs.  There were a few days this month that serving took up nearly 6 hours of my work day but somehow, by the end of the week, I was magically caught up!   It's a testimony to me that when you put the Lord's work first, he will make sure all the other tasks get done.

So...I am really excited about the gifts from the past week.  Let's start with gift 23.
 The office that I clean at night is part of a big complex.  The office Manager is often there while I work.  We have become good friends and spend a lot of time laughing when I get done.  On this night, it was raining cats and dogs and she has to park at least a half a block away.  I took her keys and went out to get her car and pull it up to the front door so she wouldn't have to walk so far in the rain.
Gift 24- I folded laundry for a lady whose house I clean.  It was stacking up and so I spent a half hour when I was through to get it all done for her. 

 Gift 25- This was a simple gift.  I baked up 8 dozen sugar cookies and delivered them to a whole bunch of people who just needed a little treat!  Who doesn't love a good sugar cookie?
 Gift 26.  A while back, I bought three boxes of these tiny Pop Open Cards.  One box is for Hope, one for Happy and one for school lunches.  I use them whenever the kids need a little pick me up.  They are just tiny and cute.  You break the seal on the front and out pops a little message of hope and happiness.  I love this kind of thing!  So, while I waited to pick Sam up from school, I walked around putting some of these cards on people's car.  I tucked them in the door.  It was funny because the guy who owned the car beside me came out just as I got back in my car.  I pretended to look busy with my phone.  He saw the card, looked a little puzzled and popped it open.  A smile from ear to ear filled his face.  But...what was sweeter was that he was a Para for a young boy with Down's Syndrome.  He showed the young boy and he jumped up and down in excitement!  That was a great moment to see him so happy!  It's the little things!
 Gift 27.  I bought a bunch of packages of baby wipes and attached a little note on them  and placed them on changing tables around town!  This was really fun, actually more fun than I thought it would be!
 Day 28.  This was a double header gift!  I put together a little care package for my friend who flew out of the country seeking medical help.  I included a couple of books she had expressed interest in reading that I happened to own, some dark chocolate truffles, Clorox wipes to wipe down her seat on the plane and some lip balm.

The second part of this gift was really cool!  I became really good friends with the girl who was the Wish Granter for all three of my kids when they got their Make A Wish.  We try to do things together every now and then.  She is an all round awesome person!  She does so much volunteer work, it's inspiring!  She is now helping with a fundraiser for Operation Underground Railroad.  They go on rescue missions to help children who have been kidnapped and used as sex slaves.  They are doing a great work!!!  A much needed work!  She asked if I wanted to help!  YES!  I donated my time and skill to making the posters and flyers for the fundraiser coming up.  I will post the actual poster once it goes to print!   I loved getting involved in this great cause.
 Gift 29- the final gift!  What a gift it was.  I stumbled upon this idea just a few days ago actually.  I found this organization called Teeny Tears.  They make the tiniest cloth diapers for families who have had premature infants pass away.  Most of these babies are so tiny, one or two pounds only and when they die and there aren't commercial diapers to fit them.  I signed up to be a Teeny Tears seamstress!  I had no idea how much compassion I would feel for these parents who have lost a baby.  I have never lost a baby, never even experienced a miscarriage so I was really glad to be a part of this project.  Once I was approved, they emailed me the patterns and instructions.  They gave me an assignment right away!  I made 20 of these teeny diapers.  The picture right below shows two diapers, the size of a checkbook!! The families get a set of two diapers; one to put on the baby that they will be buried in and a matching one that they will keep as a keepsake.  Is that not the most touching thing?  Later this week, I will be able to deliver these diapers in person to our very own hospital!!  I'm really excited to be able to hand deliver them!

So, it's been a really great adventure.  I challenge all of you to start your own 29 Gifts campaign.  It can be as involved or simple as you want.  Your life will change...I promise you that!  If you take it on...leave me a message so I can follow in your fun!
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Is there a significance to 29? Just wondering. I am starting on March 1st

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The project, 29 Gifts is based on the book by Cami Walker. She was struggling with MS and very depressed. She went to an African Medicine Woman who gave her the prescription to give to others for 29 days. Cami could hardly walk and wasn't enjoying her life but she followed this healer. Her book chronicles how her life changed through giving. Her story struck a chord with me last year when I was going through hard things and so I tried it. It changed my life and pulled me through some tough times. I plan to continue giving every day, I just won't be posting it. I would love to share in your journey if you have FB, Instagram or a blog where you will be posting. Let me know...Have fun and good luck!! It will change your life!

      Delete
    2. Here is a link to her Facebook Page...https://www.facebook.com/29Gifts

      Delete
  2. I just love gift #29! My first daughter was born 3 months premature and weighed only 15 oz at birth. She had the tiniest diapers in the NICU and they still wrapped around her and had to be taped. Miraculously, she not only survived, but does not have any lasting effects, other than she wears glasses and she is a petite little 8 yr old. We did have some scary moments and almost lost her so I can only imagine what these poor families have gone through. I know this thoughtful gift will mean so much to them!!

    ReplyDelete