Thursday, January 29, 2015

For Today...

I've been up and at it since 4 am.  It's 9:30 am and what I wouldn't give for a nap but there is no time for napping.  Today is another big doctor day for Mr. Sam.

There is a part of the ER trip I left out.  The ER doc didn't tell me that there was blood in Sam's urine or that Sam's liver enzymes and glucose were extremely high.  Not just on the high end of normal but triple over normal.   Since the pulmonology visit wherein the doctor told me Sam's heart was 100% normal, even though I was looking at the abnormal paperwork, my trust in doctors has plummeted.  I use to take what they said at face value.  Not anymore, so I requested the lab work from the hospital before we left.

I was pretty alarmed to see those numbers as well as his abnormally high white cells.  I did a little research and the liver enzyme can actually be a pre-cursor to an upcoming cardiac crisis or liver crisis.  I felt really uneasy about just watching him so I called our cardiologist and hematologist in Seattle just to make sure I was doing the right thing.

I went to the school to see about pulling Sam out for the remainder of the trimester at least.  It's interesting to be faced with this.  Again, I'm really torn.  Sam has missed 5 weeks of school this trimester alone due to fevers, and pneumonia.  His immune system just can't keep on top of it all.  I feel like keeping him home til we sort out the heart problems will be better for his physical health.  Emotionally...that's another thing.  I know he needs his friends to keep him sane.  It's a real catch 22.

As I was talking to the school counselor, it hit me just how serious this situation is.  This is where the rubber meets the road.  That moment when you see the face of this disease for what it really is and all of a sudden, what happens to other people, is happening to you!  I didn't like that overwhelming feeling.  Today, everything seems too big and I feel too small.

At any rate, we are off to see a few different doctors today.  One appointment we will recheck the liver numbers and culture the urine since the hospital neglected to do that part...duh...Since when do doctors stop doing the basic protocols like culturing urine when blood is present...and we aren't talking a trace of blood but quite a bit of blood.

This morning I woke up with a terrific headache and sore throat.  So, for breakfast, I had two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, 2000 mg of Vitamin C, 2 Cold Eze and then a tall glass of baking soda water...Yum, yum!!  Now I feel like I'm going to puke.  All in an effort to halt this virus from taking over my body!  I don't have any time for sickness right now.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment