Saturday, January 3, 2015

'Edges to lean upon'

I didn't know what to call this post.  I guess 'carrying on' is as good as any title.

Today has been a slightly better day.  I spent all morning playing the organ in the temple.  The was no one in the chapel for the first 30 minutes so I just played to an empty room.  It was nice to just reflect and enjoy the peace and quiet.

I came home and decided that I am done with traditional sleep schedules.  I am going to work when I feel awake and I'm going to sleep when I feel tired.  So, I went back to bed at 11:30.  I slept til 1:30, then got up and started some chores before going in to work.

After work, I ventured out to the craziest place in town these days...Walmart! I knew it would be packed and I didn't really mind that, I just didn't want to run into anyone I knew.  As I was leaving, I decided to hang all my bags on my arm so I wouldn't have to wrestle the cart through the ice and snow.

As I walked out in the dark, I noticed a young man hurrying past on his way to the grocery store at the end of the strip mall.  He got several yards away from me, turned around and came running back towards me.

"Miss, can I help you carry those bags to your car?"

It was such a small thing but it actually changed my whole day.  I went from being tired and rather numb to feeling a little more energized.  It reminded me how important it is to help each other along in this life.

He reminded me of a song I heard not long ago, "We need edges to lean upon, pieces of Heaven to help us along." Tonight, I guess you could say, that young man was a little piece of Heaven.

Tonight I was surprised by another visitor from Colorado!  That makes two visits in one week.  I forgot that Spencer told me he was having a student from Littleton bring some of his extra things home.  She came by and we had a great visit.

She told me that Spencer had spent some time in their home and she was so impressed with him and said he was a hard working, great missionary.  He had often shared his testimony with them and she said he spoke with a lot of power and conviction.

I really love hearing little stories about Spencer.  It's weird because I know he is growing and changing, but I still remember him as a 17 year old when he did some dumb things that 17 year old boys do.

So, another little piece of Heaven, an edge to lean upon.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment