Saturday, December 27, 2014

Testing...

Well, we made it through Christmas without a hospital trip!  Hooray!

Tuesday, Sam was at one facility getting his tests done and Shelbie was at another about an hour and half away.  So, it was a fun day!

The radiologist doing Sam's echocardiogram and bubble echo was so boring and borderline cranky.  Most radiologists will talk about what they are doing, what you are looking at on the screen, point out anatomy and even say if things 'looked' good.  I know they aren't doctors but surely, they do this day and day out, they have to know what they are looking at so they can flag it, measure it, test it, whatever.  I even asked him if he could tell us if he saw a hole and he said, "Not unless you are Bill Gates."

Whatever.  Lame.

When we left, he spouted something off that was so cryptic, it would take all the intelligence of this country to figure out what it meant!  Not even kidding.  We stood out in the hall analyzing it for several minutes.  If you aren't going to make your hints worthwhile then don't make them.

That had me a little riled up for quite some time.

At Shelbie's appointment, things started out pretty good.  I didn't realize how anxious I would be for the pulmonary function tests.  I thought Sam's was going to be great.  There was no indication during his testing that we would be where we are today.  For Shelbie's test, we had the same lady Sam did.  She said all the same things she said with Sam, "Great!  Totally normal!"

I was on pins and needles.  Shelbie was lightheaded for about 20 minutes after the test finished. I will die if she comes back with the same problems as Sam!  

After that test, we went to the lab for the testing of the genetic disease C-1 Esterase, C4A esterase, and a couple of other tests.  All of them are extremely rare tests.  Here we were in this tiny, county hospital with a list of tests they had never run before.

Be ended up having to wait quite awhile which didn't bother us a bit.  Everyone was so friendly and doing their best to get the details on how to run the tests.

While we sat, a lady came in who did not look well.  She didn't sound well either.  She was there for an Influenza A swab but she sounded like she also had Whooping Cough and Pneumonia.  She sat one chair away from me and coughed, and coughed.  There was a sign beside her which had a great big red title on it, "Coughing Etiquette."

I was getting so panicked, there was sweat beading up on my forehead.  Here we are with kids who have a crappy immune system at best.

Finally, I walked up to the desk and whispered, "We are just going to step out in the hall so you can get us when you are ready." And then I kind of motioned towards the sick lady.  The girl felt so bad.  I felt bad.  I didn't want to offend anyone but seriously, it was crazy!

We left and grabbed a mask and bathed in hand sanitizer.

A few minutes later, a lab tech came out apologize profusely for not being more considerate to get the lady her own room.  I assured her that it wasn't her fault, they were busy trying to get us figured out, they just didn't realize what was going on.

We went back to the lab and they were washing every single surface down with alcohol and bleach!  I was so impressed and so appreciative.

We talked more about all the crud going around and came to the conclusion that my kids will be wearing masks anytime we enter a hospital and depending on the day, other places as well.  I realized we need to be way  more proactive and careful.

In the past month, I have talked with three different nurses who all cautioned about shaking hands and going to church.  They said they are the two biggest threats to our health.  I agree that I hate hand shaking.  In fact, in the winter, I wear gloves to church and all through church.  I don't shake anyone's hand unless it's with the glove on.  I take my own hymn book and only touch my face if totally necessary and then take my hand out of the glove to do so.

It's so frustrating that people come to church either sick or when they have a family member at home sick.  It is my biggest pet peeve.  I also hate the excuses people make for coming to church sick...my favorite..."It's just allergies!"  Allergies?  Really?  in the middle of December?  I doubt it!

I might be getting a bit overly protective but I don't care.

So, tests on Sam should be back Monday and Shelbie not til February!   That's a long time to wait!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment