Thursday, December 25, 2014

So, this is Christmas

Merry Christmas!

I've always loved the song...And so this is Christmas, and what have you done? Another year over, a new one just begun.

It's a great time to reflect on what you have done all year.  Have you been naughty? Or nice?

Yesterday, Christmas Eve, I didn't exactly reflect on what I had done all year but more about what I was going to do to save the Christmas spirit.

I had to work today.  I started at 6:30 am with a couple of hours of drafting, then headed out to clean two houses and an office building.  Shelbie had a big photo shoot booked for a large family and Sam went with her to help with props and such. They were gone most of the afternoon.

When I finished my cleaning, I went to find May so that I could give her a bag of gifts.  She was at her apartment and when I handed her the bag, she said, "Oh...not fair!  I didn't get you anything!"

"Don't worry!  I wasn't expecting a gift in return.  Really.  I just appreciate your friendship!"
"No, let's go to the dollar store!" She grabbed her big bag with the duct tape handles and we headed down to the parking lot.  She drove her car and I drove mine.

At the dollar store, she walked up and down the aisles until finding the kids and I a perfect gift.  Two puzzles and some smiley stickers!  :)  She picked a few more things she needed and we checked out.

When we got to our cars, she handed me the puzzles and stickers and apologized for not having them wrapped.  She also pulled out this huge bag of play money.  It was the biggest, fake money I have seen.  With a little snicker, she said, "Here, I want you to have some money!"
"Gosh!  I can't take your money!" I said.
"Well, how about we split it?"  She offered.
"Okay."
She opened the package and handed me $124.00 fake dollars!  It was priceless!  I loved it!  She was so happy that I let her do something for us!

I got home just as the kids arrived and they started on the puzzles right away!  It was fun to work on that for a bit.

I am one rich girl! 
While the kids continued puzzle making, I made a gigantic batch of caramel corn.  I put it into large cellophane bags, tied them up with twine and they looked so festive...sorry, no pictures.
We piled into the car and decided to hand them out to total strangers just for fun!  That plan changed quickly.

We passed a student housing complex that was completely dark except for one light.  I thought it would be cool to give a treat to a student who couldn't go home.  We stopped and knocked on his door.  He was the nicest kid!  He was thrilled that we stopped.  We visited with him for a bit and got the scoop on why he couldn't get home.  It was awesome!  After that, we decided to target students stuck here alone.

We drove to every apartment complex for students and if we saw a light, we went up to surprise them with treats.  On each bag, I had taped a picture of Christ.

We spent two hours visiting with so many different people!  It was so much fun!  We were all back to our usual craziness.

The last place we went was an apartment complex for disabled and mentally challenged people.  We knocked on a few doors and handed out the popcorn.  We met a man in a wheelchair and took his garbage out for him.  On our way out, we saw a lady in the hall who had set up a big table that was heaped with books and toys.  She was busy wrapping it all.  We stopped to talk to her and she was helping out a friend who had just had hand surgery.

Clearly, this woman had some physical and mental challenges.  We talked about her cat.  She showed all kinds of pictures from her phone.  The cat was all she had.  I asked her if she needed help getting all the presents wrapped and she was so appreciative!  Using scissors was hard for her and she had a hard time wrestling the paper.  I wrapped gifts while Shelbie and Sam visited and showed her Winston the hedgehog.

It was a great evening!  Exactly what we needed.  We gave out 20 bags of caramel corn.

We didn't get home til nearly 8pm.  We decided for Christmas Eve, to have a 'My Favorite Things' night.  The kids each chose their favorite food and then a favorite movie.  It was kind of random but fun.  We ended up with a French Fry Bar...gravy and french fries being the most important features.
I also made my famous cheese ball.  We were going to have crepes as well but none of us are real big eaters so I will make that for breakfast.

All in all, it was a good day.  Other than all of us being extremely worn out, we enjoyed bringing a little cheer to some awfully lonely people tonight.

So...What have you done this Christmas?
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment