Friday, December 5, 2014

Dollars will fix your problem

Yesterday, I had a government worker ask me if I could make $10,000 before the end of the year.  Of course, how hard can that be?  Why haven't I thought of that before now?  Sure, I'm not doing anything between the hours of midnight and 5 am but lounging around, it would be a perfect time to get a job.  Another job. One of many jobs.

I think that's a perfectly great idea because you can never tell your kids too much, "I can't, I have to work."  They love hearing those words.  It makes them feel so special and important, and cared for.

Basically, this notion of making more money, came after a lengthy conversation with one of the chimps up the chain of command at Health and Welfare.  They should really change the name of that company to  Planning Your Demise.

I knew when the Government said, "If you like your plan, you can keep your plan." it was just blowing smoke.  I knew they didn't really mean it.  It's like telling the clerk at Maverick, "Have a nice day."  You don't really mean it, or stop to consider what that really means, it's just what people say.  The Government doesn't mean anything they say, it's just how it is.  A tradition passed down from one lousy, self centered, power hungry President to the next.

What I didn't know was that for some Americans, the Government actually decides on the new health insurance plan for you!  And, believe me when I tell you, they don't give a hoot about you, what your health status is, they only look at one thing...money.

The Government has arbitrarily given two of my kids a Medicaid plan.  Not a great, awesome Medicaid plan, just a basic Medicaid plan that covers a sore throat here and there and some wellness check ups. They don't care that my kids have a terminal genetic disease that will most likely result in bone marrow transplant and numerous cancer treatments before they reach age 30.

They don't care how you spell Dyskeratosis Congenita or Primary Immune Deficiency.  They don't care what that means or how it affects my kids personally, physically, emotionally or financially. They don't care that we have the hardest time finding doctors who will stick it out in the game of rare genetic disease without getting frustrated and overwhelmed. They don't care that some of these doctors won't accept Medicaid. They don't care that we HAVE to travel hundreds of miles to talk to a doctor with the knowledge to help us.

Do you think before they decided what was best for us, they considered any of this?  No.  They didn't.
So, here's the problem.  Medicaid will not cover all of our expenses in 2015 so I will invariably be hit with huge out of pocket expenses due to lack of coverage.  With the good insurance I already have, I still end up paying some, for the things they don't cover.  Now, we will have far greater deficiencies in coverage.

All I want is to be able to add a secondary policy so that we are totally covered but according to the new Affordable Care Act, I can't do that because the Government has already so generously provided me with insurance they deem is just perfect for us.

If I deny the Medicaid coverage, I can find a suitable policy elsewhere but I will be fined for each child, I will not be eligible for any tax breaks, benefits and I can't even write off any medical expenses on my yearly taxes.  Each child will have their own premium, of estimates close to $1000 and their own individual deductible in the thousands of dollars.

If I keep the Medicaid as it is written, we plain and simple don't have enough coverage.  I asked the guy if Medicaid was prepared to pay for monthly transfusions to the tune of $12,000 a month?  Were they going to cover monthly ER visits for one thing or another?  He actually knew the answer to that...NO!  Medicaid covers 3 ER visits a year!!!  We've had 3 this month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I exclaimed!) I asked them if they were going to cover bone marrow transplant, chemotherapy and host of other possibilities.  "These are kids," he said, "It's not likely you will need that."  OMG...doesn't anyone listen to me??

I asked Health and Welfare if they could supply me with a policy of what the coverage will actually be.  Their response, "Well, I'm not sure that really exists.  It might, I'm sure it does, I guess, but it's buried somewhere on the internet.  You'd have to do some extensive Google searches to find it."

REALLY PEOPLE??  You make me take your stupid policy but you won't even tell me what it covers?  Is that honest?  Can you do that?  SERIOUSLY???  They can do this???

I'm not joking when I tell you, I had heart palpitations!  I don't have the money to support either of these options.  I am working as hard as I possibly can.  I have a son on a mission and two kids at home that have been sick all the time!!!  This week alone, I have worked  already 45 hours and spent over 25 hours at the hospital.  Taking care of my kids is a part time job that takes me outside of the house, then consider all the care that is required when we aren't at doctors and hospitals.  I'm tired!! I am so tired in every imaginable way, I am tired.

Last night, while I cleaned an office building, scraping gum off the floor, I just simply asked my Father in Heaven what I was suppose to do.  How this could possibly work out. If I need to move, I'll move.  If I need to find a different job, I'll find a different job.  I just want my kids to be taken care of and it would be really nice if I could spend what time they have left, not gone every minute trying to pay for medical bills.  I would really just love to be a mom!   This prayer of wisdom and understanding just kept looping through my mind.

I dragged the last of the many garbage bags to the dumpster and got in my car.  I turned on the ignition and these simple words blasted through the speakers from the radio...

"Believe in God." He said them slowly and purposefully.  The speaker went on to quote, Mosiah 4:9, from the Book of Mormon.  "Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in Heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all things which the Lord can comprehend."

My heart finally slowed down and I knew that this was my answer.  I can't change the government and I can't get out of this situation.  All I can do at this point is move forward with faith, hoping that somehow, everything will work out. I don't fully understand how.  It seems absolutely impossible.  It's the most ridiculous situation I have ever been in.  Never before have I experienced such a deliberate loss of freedom.

The guy at Health and Welfare was wrong...Dollars won't fix my problems but God will.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment