Wednesday, November 5, 2014

This just in

Well, remember a while back, two months ago, I submitted a sample of my novel for critique from Gelfman Schneider in New York?

I heard back from them today!  It's way better than I thought it was going to be.  I had visions of her ripping my book apart and flat out telling me my writing was hideous and I should go hide in a closet and never come out!  I know...it was just as dramatic in my head!

She didn't say that at all!

She said I had promise as a writer and had a strong sentence level.  I'm not sure what that means exactly but it sounds good!  Just kidding, that was the part I was worried about!  They made some great suggestions which I already knew I needed to fix like finding a stronger Memoir voice.  For an Essay or Report, she said it was great but she wanted me to own my story with more narrative.  Owning my words has always been a problem.  I spend too much time keeping a distance from my own life and hesitate to really make it mine.  I look at life from a distance usually and that comes out clearly in my book.

Now, I have to decide if I move forward as a writer or just chill here with my blog that 3 people read.

I'm pretty relieved.  I'm pretty happy with myself for even submitting it.  It was a scary thing to do.  I had nightmares for days after submitting it. It leaves one pretty vulnerable.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment